Started playing with my Pukani rock!

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by boostednlinefor, Feb 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. boostednlinefor

boostednlinefor Fire Worm

I ordered 50lbs for my 46 bow and I think I'll have a good amount left over. Here are a couple pics!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But take a look at the rock here on the right.. Does that look like the Pukani next to it or does it look more like the Eco Reef Saver??
    [​IMG]

My Marcos sand stirs up just looking at it wrong and this is what the tank looks like right now. It should be clear enough by Sunday to fix a couple things.

[​IMG]

I drilled and used white clothes hangers from target. $1.27 for a 15 pack and was way more than enough. I'll need to go back and do a little epoxy work.

Also my tank stinks like crazy with this rock in there. My sump is also starting to overflow with foam from my drain hose!

More pics to come!

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Some nice pieces of rock you got there boostednlinefor

Cant tell the difference between one type of rock and another so Im not able to ID
    Pukani from eco reef saver

but the rock you have there seems very porous with lots of nooks and crannies
    thus ideal for effective biological filtration due to the extra real estate rock like that creates

Steve

4. Saltysaber

Saltysaber Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I will be following I will be using the same stuff. This will be interesting to watch.

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

FYI, some local guys are recommending that the Pukani rock be acid dipped because of the amount of dead critters and sponge trapped in the rock. Some is cleaner than others, but bad smell is an indication that yours is dirty.

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Mine was VERY dirty. I added it to an empty aquarium, and cycled it this way. If one was to use it to add more rock to an existing setup, I'd agree with some type of cleaning process.

7. Saltysaber

Interesting does that include the dry brs stuff?

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

No, that rock is usually very clean. From the BRS site regarding Pukani:

10. Saltysaber

Thanks that is what I was hoping to hear. I have only seen good things about there rock.

11. boostednlinefor

boostednlinefor Fire Worm

Yeah mine had lots of stuff on it.. I actually preferred to leave it all on there to help my tank cycle.

I found a small dime sized crab floating in the water as I was aquascaping. Attached picture is a half dollar size crab in one of the rocks.

I've also had a ridiculous amount of nasty foam building up in the drain section of my sump and my skimmer hasn't been on for several days now because it just goes crazy.

I'll post pics of the scape once I get it how I like it.

Overall this rock is friggen badass. I have about 45lbs in there now and it's way too much. I'll probably end up taking about 10lbs out. In short, 35 pounds would have ended up being cheaper than the amount of "other" online rock that I would have needed!

Attached Files:

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Awesome info on the rock, great shapes and look to them.