is nuking really my best response?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Peredhil, Nov 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Before I do this, just want to bounce if off some folks.

History
    I have a rather large rock that forms the base of my structure that has GSP growing on it.

I want to rid this rock of GSP and move the GSP to the back glass. I hate the solid purple back wall and think the green will look nicer. But really, I Just want it off this rock. (if you live near me, free GSP!)

I'm going to have to remove the rock to do anything to it. I am resigned to that.

Problem
    So this is the problem. I know i can peel this stuff off, I've done it before, but I know the GSP has also grown up through small holes in the rock. I doubt I will be able to peel it from there.

(if you've never seen this, it's kind of wild. the purple mat is white/clear through the holes and darkens to purple after it gets through the other end of the tunnel)

The way I see it, I can either nuke the rock (which I really don't want to do just bc of the time involved) or I can kalk paste the holes up(????) or fill the "infected" holes with epoxy...

What would you do? Would you just nuke it? (If I nuke, I'll peel off big chunks of GSP for the back glass first)

If I do that, my tank and coral will be in disarray for weeks as this is a foundation rock.

If I just fill in the holes and smother it, I could probably do this in one long day...

What do you think folks?

If I do nuke it, can someone comment on how much baking soda I would need for 3 gallons of water (for the later stage of nuking)? I can't find that.

I'm basically reading from this nuke instructions
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/blogs/otty/nuking-live-rock-67.html

And here is the rock in question (the GSP is on the middle of that rock - it's a big rock)

[​IMG]

Can you see it starting to spread along the side here?

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

I understand that there are sometimes unwanted things in a aquarium that people just get tired of seeing. The problem with killing one thing is it usually ends up killing something else.

There are always unintended consequences.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

having done something similar myself over 2 evenings this week

I did exactly as you suggest above

1st night
    I removed the original rocks with GSP
    I peeled using my finger nails as much as I could from adjascent rockwork
    as the GSP had retracted into the matt by the end of all this messing about I left it at that

2nd night - GSP over the shock so was more visible in locations I had missed
    so back in with the finger nails and small pieces where removed ( rock work now almost clear)

where it was located in holes, crevices in rock work - I have not yet addressed
    but my plans are to mix some reef putty and fill in these holes
    as my reasons for removing the GSP are to allocate the space to SPS frags so the reef putty will have 2 functions A cover the GSP holes and B locate the frag plugs

Steve

1 person likes this.
  5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I would nuke it if I were you. That stuff comes back way too easily, and if your going to go through the trouble of pulling that rock don't make it so you have to do it again. I don't see why you have to make it a long process though. I would boil that rock for about an hour. This should completely destroy the GSP that's left and hopefully liquidize anything that would of caused die off. Let it cool overnight and throw it back in.

1 person likes this.
  6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

1/4 to 1/2 lb of baking soda would do.

1 person likes this.
  7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

ok, thanks for the info/tips everyone!

I am diving in. Got a bucket of fresh RO, a clean bucket for the rocks.

turning off PH and lights and puttin on gloves and gettin to it.

i will evaluate it and make up my mind which way I want to go once I have it out and can see it better. either way, i already have all relevant supplies staged for either decision.

i will grab some pics too.

bbl ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

ok, a bit of both. got a lot of rock nuking; 1 giant piece and 2 medium size pieces.

I have another 2 rocks I just kalk pasted a spot.

What I ended up with is totally different. I kind of like it. Not sure what I'll do when it's time to put the nuking rocks back in the tank...

Got three pieces of GSP on the back glass. I'll see how that works out.

I also went ahead and am nuking the rock the xenia was on. I threw most of this out. I put one piece on a frag disc so I can still have some... but it will be relegated to a disc on the substrate.

Most of my corals are just lying around on the substrate now... I'll figure out them and flow tomorrow.

I got a mechanical filter running now to pick up the junk and have got the actinics back up and a couple PH going for flow finally. I'll plug the skimmer back in later tonight.

these pics are in order... but I didn't capture most of what I did...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]