New Tank 3 weeks and Live Rock 3 Bleaching?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Clutch, May 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Clutch

Clutch Astrea Snail

New Tank 3 weeks and Live Rock Bleaching?

Hello all,

Just a status check on my live rock in my 65gal Red Sea 250. When it was introduced, all the live Kupang rock (60lbs) was fully cured, pretty brown, and some purple. Over the last week, I have been seeing more and more of the rock turning white. It seems most of the rock on the upper levels of the tank are turning white but some lower levels also are showing signs of this. Is this normal with a 3 week old tank? Calcium is at 380ppm (with addition of Salifert All in One, 10ml once a week), and my lighting is at 234 watts 3 bulbs 10,000K and 3 bulbs atinic blue). Running 6-8 hours a day. Ammonia spike and Nitrate spikes are done. Some others have said NOT to run the skimmer at this time in my Red Sea 250. Also have brown algae on some of the rocks and substrate which I know is normal, but the white stuff recently on the rocks is perplexing to me. Some pics below, with an without a flash trying to show the white stuff. Basicaly some of the rocks are starting to look like a snow caped Mount Everest! Thanks all.

Left hand side, uppermost rocks on the tank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This disk type rock 2 weeks ago was all a greenish color, now showing white.
    [​IMG]

This rock (right side) which was purple when I got it, now showing a few spots of white. Located at the bottom of the tank.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Hmm off hand i am thinking that the algae on the rocks are not used to the light therefor you may be havein die off that way... Or because the rock may have algae die off cause the little bit of time it was not into water will cause die off also.. Also your tank being 3weeks old it will be a roller coaster ride with chemical levels and algae blooms of all kinds..

I am sure i have left something out so if you can help, tagg your it...

Good Luck....

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Are you sure it's not detritus? Try blowing it off with a turkey baster.

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

probably just having some die off from the cycle. Mine did the same thing on my FOWLR tank... Rocks that say they are cured, from my experience are not always fully cured.

I agree also that some of it looks like detritus!

Calcium is a little low, and you will need to bring it up to 420 or so before putting corals and such in there.

Looks good though

6. Clutch

Clutch Astrea Snail

No detritus. really a bleach white non-removable surface. I am guessing lack of calcium plus a die-off of coraline from the new tank break-in blues. But just want to be sure from the experts around here as well.

7. OverThinker

OverThinker Skunk Shrimp

Mine are doing the same thing...I thought it was the urchin eating at the rocks but I am sure it's not just because of the location.

Why would only the top parts be turning white if it is just die off? It has to have something to do with lighting? Maybe too extreme? I'd like to hear some more people's opinions on rock bleaching. I am sure there are tons of threads on this....so I'LL BE BACK...haaaahaha

8. Click Here!

9. Clutch

Clutch Astrea Snail

Been over a month since I posted but I think I was correct. It was die off. Presently the rock tips are now are turning purple and a lime green. Very pretty.

[​IMG]