Sols to Vega upgrade

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Jason McKenzie, May 5, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

So the great people at AI offered a great deal to upgrade from Sol's to Vega at a reasonable price. I took them up on it and received mine last week.
    Upgrade was very simple and they work great. I now have 4 Vega's rather than 2 sols and 2 Vegas.
    One problem. Induced in the upgrade where new mounting screws. I thought the instruction indicated not to use the old screws as they could damage the unit because they where too long. So I used the much shorter included screws. I mounted both lights and set them up to the controller. I noticed I had placed 1 of the LED power pucks in the wrong location. So I took it down and corrected it. while placing it on the rail I watch as the other newly upgraded Vega splash into the tank.
    Yes I freaked Unplugged it and pulled it out.
    I then rinsed it in fresh water. Took all the components apart and rinsed each component in fresh water. I used canned air to blow out al the water and left it for 24 hours.
    BTW AI has been very supportive.
    Well powered it up and in Demo mode everything worked 100%.
    But when I connecting it to the controller 1 power puck does not light.
    Crappy but it could have been way worse. My tank is currently fish only so 1 puck is not the end of the world.

Will continue to work with AI and find the needed replacement component.

Moral of the story is to go with your gut. When you think the screws are too short they are

J

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I started with CL PC's- they actually worked well and were very bright!

But they just rested on the top ends of the tank- as my 125 only has 1 center support.
    they were 2 x 36in lights.
    Problem was, no matter how careful I was, a few times I always seemed to knock them into the water!

Fast forward to the last year, my TaoTronics came with a hanger, and I built a rack that stands behind my DT to hang them from.

I'll only hang them now, and when I take them down for cleaning, etc. I always have the hanger wires over my wrist to ensure I don't drop them in.

Glad things weren't too bad for you, and hope you get them up to 100% soon!

4. Jason McKenzie

Under the guidance of AI. i switched 1 of the controllers to another LED puck now all the lights are working.

I'm a happy guy

J

5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Can you post a picture of the new lights in action. I have the AI SOLs and really like them . Am curious how the Vegas look and if it is worth upgrading int he future. I have 4 fixtures...so no small investment to do that.

6. Jason McKenzie

I don't have any pics of the lights. They basically replace everything but the fan and heat sync.

There is no point in taking a picture of the light as every camera will process the image and it will not be the same. I'm very happy with the Vega but then I was also happy with the Sol

J

7. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Do you notice the additional color spectrum at all? Do your corals look better, etc?