Reefbreeders into a 29biocube?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Toallhisdoom, Apr 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

So just got a 29 biocube.

Has the hood with the 2 bulbs and 3 blue leds.

It looks like there is quite a bit of space under the hood. I was thinking about gutting it, then pulling my reefbreeders light apart and mounting it inside the hood.

Anyone done this? Would probably have to put the ballasts behind the led board instead of onto like in the fixture.

I think this could work! Any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Anything can work, you need to make sure you can properly mount the heatsink to the hood. Then allow for airflow and the drivers should be external due to heat.

4. Toallhisdoom

Well I was thinking of mounting the 2 fans from the reefbreeder through the hood top. Like make cut outs for them. Or if I have room just mount them right under the vent areas. But would like to avoid altering the hood in case I decide to sell it down the road.

Can I just extend the wires on the drivers and mount them in the cabinet under the tank? I don't see why not. My buddy is an electrician so I am sure he can help.

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Don't worry about selling it down the road. Enjoy what you have now. I know when time comes to sell my hood it's going to be hard and low ball offers.

If you're good with soldering you can extend them, make it clean and most importantly safe.

6. Toallhisdoom

Well the way I go through tanks....hahaha resale is a big part of the game for me!

But I get what you are saying. Maybe I should just take the hood off and hang the led. Would be a lot easier. And save the mess or cutting things up! Throw a screen top over it....

BUT WHAT FUN IS THAT?! lol

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I enjoyed the challenge, my hood looked fully stock on the outside but like a transformer on the inside.

Do me a favor, send me the dimensions of your reef breeders light and pics of the cables and ends. I'll measure it up on my hood and help make a game plan. You're going to want to have the clear plastic piece installed to help with cooling.

8. Click Here!

9. Toallhisdoom

Yea deff want the plastic to keep moisture out as well! And i will break the fixture open this weekend and send you the dimensions. Hopefully it will fit!

10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Sounds good

11. Toallhisdoom

Hey biocube here are some pics and dimensions.
    2x Fans are 3.25x3.25
    2x Ballasts are 5.75x2
    And then main led plate is 15.5x8.25
    Ballasts are like maybe an inch thick
    Led plate max 2in thick
    uploadfromtaptalk1398039923033.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1398039941980.jpg

12. Toallhisdoom

Check itt