Marineland LED Reef Ready strip?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by ndtechie05, Apr 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Spaghetti Worm

Has anyone used this before? How would it work over my 75g. I currently have 6 T5's over mine and am looking for something to cut back on heat in the summer. Right now I have no corals yet but am planing on basics like zoa's, frogspawn, torches, softies mainly...

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

One of the LFS runs two of these over their 90G, it keeps softies and lower end LPS just fine. Tank looks very clear and crisp with them.

4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

should be fine LED lights can support sps and anemones if they work good and are very powerful!

5. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

However these LEDS won't be able to support SPS and nems.

6. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I have not been to impressed with these lights. They seem very weak to me. They should support all softies, leathers and some LPS, but that is it. Only way it would grow SPS is if you had it at the water level.

That being said, I really like the coloring of the lights. The tanks when lit with them actually look good.

Your 6 bulb fixture can grow way more than that LED system..... as long as you are using good bulbs and reflectors that is.

7. ndtechie05

The issue I run into in the summertime with is temp. The room gets so hot it does raise the tank temp with lights on. The central AC doesn't work too well in that room with the sun. I may put a window AC unit in to regulate the room temp.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Well you could try changing to a four bulb t5. I have one on my 90 and it is plenty of light for any softy or lps.:)

10. ndtechie05

I found the 48-60" Reef Ready at my LFS for 389.99..I'm debating whether to purchase this and use it during the summer to cut back on my heat/energy and buy new T5 lamps to use when I have to or just purchase new T5 lamps...thoughts?

11. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

i personally dont like marineland products, and i dont think they are strong enough for the sps clams

12. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Par bulbs might be the way to go, and you can seriously get alot of them for the price of that strip. I run two as accent lights on my 120 (to get shimmer) and they do some serious light output at 12,000k