Marineland Gets Reef Capable with New LED Lamps

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The new Reef Capable LED lamps from Marineland will be hitting the shelves in October and are an honest effort to address the reef crowd with more power than the earlier Double Bright and Single Bright LED lamps. Inside the new finned heatsink cover are 10k 1 watt daylight LEDs and 460nm 1 watt blue LEDs - up from the .6 watt blues we saw earlier in the prototype.

[​IMG]

Marineland is even posting PAR numbers on the box:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note the number of LEDs as well above in the lamp - much more than found in the Double Bright LED series.

The Marineland Double Brights were a big hit with the mainstream hobbyists for the quality of the finish, clean look and great price points and they hope to duplicate the success with the Reef Capable LED lamps which are also priced competitively as evidenced by the MSRP:

Word is Marineland has been testing the Reef Capable series on some Acropora and successfully shown noticeable growth after 1 months time. Depth of tank unknown, but interesting none the less.
    3reef will get hands on with the new Marineland Reef Capable LED lamps in the very near future. Stay tuned for a follow up.

Marineland Web site:
    Marineland - Smart Design. Superior Performance.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I just hope they get the colors right.

10,000k and 460nm seems limited. I like a purplish 420/460 combo and a daylight blend around 14,000k.

But I'm not complaining, definitely a step in the right direction.

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I've been looking everywhere for a 420 LED Star(like CREE), and haven't been able to find one. I will be building a LED fixture once the 3 lights I have up for sale sell. Great prices on that fixture too.

5. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

i really hope it works that well would replace my lighting for it.

6. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Nice. I was actually just looking at their previous fixtures a couple days ago... These new ones seem like they're capable. They're okay priced. In a few years, i recon the prices of LED fixtures will drop significantly:confused:

7. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

Do you guys think that LED is going to replace MH?

I like the price of the 48 fixture. Not too bad compared their MH fixtures.

8. Click Here!

9. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

17,000 hours doesn't seem that long compared to other LED stats I've seen...just about 2 years (24/7) or 4.5 years max if run on normal cycle. Hopefully it is a modest estimation.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Added number of LEDs per lamp to 1st post.

11. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I wish there were a way to run these on a timer.. Turning a tank on and off is such an inconvenience lol..

12. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

I cant wait to make the switch to 100% LED's or even plasmas when the numbers and real-world results are in. looks like the prices are already starting to drop, and the numbers on paper look good, I just havent heard many real world long-term accounts of success with growth and color.

~Will.