LED voltage and Removing adhesive?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by initial_reefer, Mar 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. initial_reefer

initial_reefer Bristle Worm

Hello all I wired up my DIY led project last night and I have a couple questions

1: How can I remove thermal adhesive? As I burnt up one of the leds that was allready glued to my heatsink while trying to set up the Proper voltage with the sv2 and my meter

2: What is the proper way to test the voltage and adjust it according

3: What setting is my meter on and where am I placing the leads?

4: The correct way to wire a Dimmed Driver without a Dimmer would be just put the wires to the corresponding postive and negitives ?

Apparently there needs to be a dumbed down guide as everything that I have seen and read more or less confuses me vs helps me.

Thanks

Also

DO NOT BUY A CHEAP SODERING IRON FROM RATSHACK it will take twice as long to tin your items and you will burn your hand just holding the handle

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Good luck

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

a knife or scraper and rubbing alcohol for adhesive. use a multimeter, either wire it in or just touch the tips to the corresponding pads and it will give you a reading. what type of metwr do you have analog or digital. shouldnt make a dif though.

If your driver has a dimmer, the dimmer needs to be hooked up for them to work. If you dont have a pwm or other dimmer you can use an alternating 0-9v adapter to give the same effect, costs like 10 bucks radioshack.

edit after reading reefmonkeys post i didnt know you could bypass the dimmer that way, I found the cheap adapter to be a good alternative that does dim.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. initial_reefer

@ reef monkey Thanks and the Correct Reading for the Meter should be 1.3 A correct?

@NC Hopefully a scraper and Knife will help, I also have heat gun but I dont think that will help since its "Thermal Adhesive"

6. initial_reefer

thanks for the replys as I posted this and a couple other questions on another site and no one looks at it let alone comments

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Different LEDs are all run at different amps you need to check the data sheet on the specific led you are driving. The new xmls can run up to 3. Reds are only lik 600 ma... so you gotta check the specific data sheet.

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Don't get discouraged. You are working on a complicated project that is difficult to answer. Not everyone in the hobby has detailed knowledge of diy leds. You'll get it together though!

Check youtube too. There are some great videos if you search for a while

10. initial_reefer

6 Cool White Cree XP-G R5 LEDs
    6 Royal Blue Cree XP-E LEDs
    is what I'm working with

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

You can only adjust the driver to 1 amp which equals 1,000mA

12. initial_reefer

k thanks I ordered 1 new led and moon lights so I should be up and running by Friday