Advice on these 120W LED's please....

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Todd_Sails, Mar 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

My tank is a 125 long.

I'm planning to put 2 x these 120W LED's, found on Ebay.

I've heard about other threads on other forums where it's said to work well for a 125reef.

Would you use them, should I?

Here's one link. There are several, but they all seem to be the same unit made by a TaoTronics

Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Grow Light 120W | eBay

Thanks for your advice.

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I just read some reviews off Amazon.

People seem to like them, and compared them to their MH's, and were very happy.

I think I'm going for it soon.

Anyone?

4. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Two notes from a non-expert.

1. You should note the 120w is not the output in practice as, in order to cool efficiently, they are run at 2/3 power yielding about 80w.
    2. These have no optics, so need to be fairly near the water. You will also lose par quickly with depth.
    3. They are not really controllable.

I have no experience with them and, at that price, if I didn't already have my AI Sol's, might have been tempted to try them out. I expect they're functional on a shallow tank.

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Yes x4

They're the same Chinese light which is rebranded and sold by so many.

They'll work fine on a softy tank. May support some LPS. Won't work for SPS.

6. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

+1 I really doubt 2 would cover a 6 foot tank. I would say 3 units instead. I would look for something name brand, controllable, and uses CREE or other quality LED diodes. If you were to put these on your tank now you would probably fry all of your corals considering you have a canopy over your tank (if I remember correctly). I would pass on these units personally.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks to all replies. OH, and it states in the stats I think that each of the colors, blue and white, run a little over 60w each, and it actually uses 131W. There are 55 leds, and @ 2 w would be about 110W.

Norg, how does a canopy help fruy the corals?

I'd be building a hanger to hang them over the tank, I may still use the canopy-open top however.

8. Click Here!

9. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I meant because then you have limited space to move them up and away from the tank. LEDs pack alot of punch so your corals would definitely be shocked going from PC to LED. If you are looking for new lighting on a budget why dont you look into halide? There are a bunch of good deals right now as people are selling their halides to switch to LED.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Yes Halides, and some good deals on them brand new!

I think you saw about me leaving the topof the canoopy off, so I can raise them more, and it will shield some scatter light into the room from the top also. I'm keeping the PC's until I get the Leds, put one on each side and visually compare from accross the room.

I"ll let ya know.