under attack | need advise

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Peredhil, Sep 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

These strands of (as of yet unidentified) sponge are getting hella long... both in their dangling and in their wrapping their spongy fingers around that rock.

I am terrified they are going to encompass my home. HELP?!

They originated from that hammerhead frag :angry: eBay never again. (I never got to do an eBay thread :-/)

It has done an excellent job of firmly situating the frag into the hole it is in... so, in a way, it is beneficial... but it won't stop growing.

I am tempted to pull the whole rock out of the water and drop the whole thing in a bucket of FW and just sacrifice the hammer frag. Why? Because it came from that frag... I couldn't cut it all off if i tried and i don't want to repeat this.

What do you guys think? I'm over reacting, I am certain. As of yet, all I have done is griped and now posted this thread...

and took some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. tkeck

tkeck Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Personally, I would try to frag it. A good hammer like that would cost me $50 around here. How much are you willing to just nuke away.

If after fragging, it returns, then nuke.

5. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

if its truely a sponge couldnt u move it too a well lit area and stunt its growth completly or borrow a cowrie snail let love sponges

6. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

1+ to fraggin and then nuke it or w/e

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I have no idea... is the light thing even possible? I have never heard of a cowrie snail, but it does not surprise me now that you say it.

I have been on google and one idea i got was to let it sit in the air for a little while... the hammer could probably take it but sponges can't take air... but I don't know if this sponge reacts poorly to air or not...

i hate sponge.

it wasn't cheap. the sponge is all around it... it's not connected to the flesh but it's all over the hard parts... I wouldn't be able to frag it without taking sponge with it... particularly bc it would be my first non softie frag job...

8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

How about a syringe of boiling water to the skeleton? Wonder if that would hurt the hammer......

10. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

Taking out of water would kill the sponge, then you could wash it with sw to rinse off spores, might not be 100% effective but worth a try.

11. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

List it on craigslist as "a hammer mini colony with a really cool sponge". chances are someone will buy it and then its money in your pocket and someone elses sponge.

~Will.

12. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

I do not think a hot water injection is a wise idea. It is only a temparary setback for the sponge. That is a very wild sponge there. Or remove the Hammer from the rock and pitch it and get more rock. How much of this type of sponge is in your aquarium? Before completely giving up let's talk of a trade. How large is the problem rock? And why can you not peel it all off? Good Luck with that one. Keep us posted.
    Ghost

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009