Tube nem?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by SwimsWithFish, Jan 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Can someone give me the general care of these, could I keep one in a biocube with stock lights?

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. SwimsWithFish

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I found this article very interesting.

Aquarium Invertebrates: Tube Anemones — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Of interest was the part regarding them being mostly nocturnal and not being dependent on photosynthesis.

Also of interest was the discussion regarding them killing fish. While they make a strong argument against them tube anemones being "fish killers" I have had close friends and experienced hobbyist claim to have lost fish to them.

I have kept them under PC lighting without issue.

5. Cjiggajess

Cjiggajess Bristle Worm

Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons
    Care Level: Moderate
    Temperament: Semi-aggressive
    Reef Compatible: Yes
    Lighting: Low
    Waterflow: Medium
    Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
    Max. Size: 8"
    Color Form: Green, Orange, Purple, Red
    Supplements: Iodine, Trace Elements
    Origin: Indo-Pacific
    Family: Cerianthidae

I have one of these guys and love him. Just to warn u there tentacles are a lot longer than u thing so be careful where u place him. Once u place him i wouldnt move him unless absolute necessary. Ive seen my friend move hers and he come out of his tube to make a new tube, where as my mom moved hers he came out of his tube and died from all the commotion. U do need a deep sand bed for them they say 6 inches. I have a huge mound where he is. Ur lights should be fine. How big is ur cube? Btw There sting will kill all coral it comes in contact with....lets just say ive learned from coral falling....

6. SwimsWithFish

Thank you! Beautiful creatures. I definatly do not like the idea of a fish wandering off in the dark and getting eaten though.

7. SwimsWithFish

Thanks for the input. The tank is a 29. I have a nice spot to put him but I will have a goby so the whole fish killer thing is something to think about. How often and what do you feed?