SOFT tube feather duster

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Peredhil, Apr 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

The guy at the LFS said it does not have a hard shell - it is not calcified or anything.

He also said it must go on the substrate and that my CC is OK as it eats detritus in the substrate.

It has a softish grey tube and then at the end of that is, I guess, the worm covered in substrate.

My question is should I bury the worm part, or just leave the whole thing lying on the bottom?

I'm thinking just let it lie on the bottom and it will figure itself out in a few days. LFS dude said it can and will move around as needed on the bottom, but that it's not agressive nor strong enough to move anything.

The less I mess with it the better, of course. For time being, it's just lying in tank (since yesterday).

I will get a pic when my camera charges.

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Hmmm
    I am thinking it's probably just a Hawaiian feather duster? They have soft tubes.
    If that's the case, they can go anywhere really.
    I have never heard of a feather duster that eats detritus. They are filter feeders, and will need to be supplemented.

4. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Mine does well attached to the bottom of a piece of rock, lying on the substrate, if it doesn't like where it is chances are it will jump out and move...

5. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

My feather likes to be protected. He sits in a hole under my hairy shroom.

6. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I buryed mine in my CC or you can stick that mess at the end of the tube in a hole in a rock. I wouldnt just lay him on the sub if ya do then the crown comes out and is partly on the ground. If you wnt it low bury it if ya want it mid then set it on a rock with something propin it up or leaned against some thing. It is a hawian I have some of those and Coc worms and some unknown Duster that hicked in on a Nerite snail's back. I also got some more nerites today and one has a small clam attached to its back. I will post picks in ID this later. Good luck with your worm they are very pretty and really cool to watch....Some say to spot feed em on the under side of the crown but I never have and it is doing great cept it was snatched out of his tube. When he takes hold dont try to move him any more. good luck...Danny

7. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

opps they do not eat detritus they are filter feeders...sorry i 4got this...

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

LFS dude was very adamant that this particular type of feather duster goes in the substrate... stressed over and over not to put it on the rock.

He also sells the regular feather dusters that you do put on the rock... he seems to think these are different.

I thought it was weird about it eating detritus from the substrate... but I didn't think the putting the duster in the substrate part was weird...

But back to my question - should I bury the worm part (not the tube part) or just let the whole thing sit on the bottom and let it bury itself? The worm part is covered in substrate already (covered like it's stuck to it, not like it's buried)

The way it is now, the end of the tube is just on the ground, not up... wondering if it will self right?

BTW - the crown is solid light purple/pinkish.

10. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Just lie it on the substrate near some rock and let it attach itself how, where it wants, my duster did erect itself once it got attached funny enough now its crown reaches upwards...

1 person likes this.
  11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Can you post a pic of it dude? It still sounds like a common Hawaiian to me

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Back from work. Camera charged! Finally!

[​IMG]

So I get home and it's out! How exciting is that?! So the pic can even include the crown. Hurray! But of course it's in a position where the crown is leaning up against the glass ::) (tube is not)

Behind the grey tube, notice how the tube continues in what looks like a tube of crushed coral substrate... that's the worm with substrate stuck to it. It came this way. That part moves. It is weird.

My question is if I should bury that part or just leave it alone? Obviously I don't want it bent up on the glass - I'm thinking it will scoot back on its own(?).

I want to put it exactly in my preferred spot for it, bury the worm part and hope it stays put. But, if it can take care of this on its own, I suppose it would be better to not mess with it. I try to put my hands in tank only if needed and I don't know if it is needed.