Sand Dollar with red "bruises"?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by duoc9119, Jul 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

I wondered if my sand dollar was alive or not so I went searching for it and found that it has the red "bruises" towards the edges. Not sure if it is because of the Emerald Crabs or not. I haven't found anything from searching about sand dollars, so anyone with any experience?

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Pictures, pictures, pictures!!!!!

4. duoc9119

This is the best I can get with a phone camera, lights are out so I used a flashlight.. You can kind of see the red spot on the edge in the picture.

[​IMG]

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Yeah, I can see the red edges. But I don't know why that would be. I don't have any experience with keeping sand dollars. Sorry, bud.

6. duoc9119

Hmm I'm stumped as well. It's still moving around like normal. Just the red spots are concerning. Can't seem to find much on sand dollars, let alone health issues.

7. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

Haven't seen one of those since i was 7, on vacation in florida. From what I remember they are perfectly round. Just from it being red and indented. Looks like tissue is being picked away or he has a disease. How old is you sand bed? They are sand sifters and probably sub class of starfish. If you flip him over he has the same 5 piont skeleton on the bottom. I would look at their diseases also.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Unfortunately you can not keep a sand dollar alive in your average home aquarium. When you see them in the wild they are sitting at a vertical angle in the sand to catch the fine suspended particles in the water column. Without this constant supply of suspended particles to eat they starve.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  10. duoc9119

The sandbed is pretty established I think, I would say close to a year or so. All I could find is stuff on urchins that have some kind of worm on them and that is the extent of what I found searching, but no sign of a worm or anything on the sand dollar.

11. duoc9119

That's interesting, that is the first time I've heard/read that anywhere. All I found is that they are sand sifters so that could be the problem there.

12. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

There are a few species of sand dollars. Look at arrow head sand dollars if yours isnt rounded. (For example...there are more) I want to say arrowhead sand dollars have two red spots on them too, or is that a heart urchin....it is too early for all this thinking. :)