Pods off of eBay?????

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by PharmrJohn, Sep 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

2. Click Here!

3. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

I had posted about this in nother thread I believe but here it goes. My cousin bought pods off of ebay once and all it did was screw up his water parameters......not one pod by the way!

I didn't write this bu had read it through a link of a video on you yube and I found it interesting considering my experiance. Hope it helps you decide.

Pods - Is money spent on pods money wasted?

Amphipods, copepods, trigger pods and numerous other tiny tank crustaceans (try saying that three times fast) now come in all kinds of live bottled supplements, but do they actually do anything for your tank? They certainly do. Pods become food for corals, especially during their larval breeding stages when they are suspended in the water column where they are consumed by every coral in your tank - from SPS to the largest LPS. The problem is that people ask the wrong question. Do pods do anything for my tank? Yes. Do I need to buy pods for my tank in order for them to do anything for my tank? Most likely no.

In all probability, you already have all of the pods that you need in your tank already. They've hitchhiked in on your live rock, in your sand, and on any corals that you've purchased from the first day that you've put your tank together. A great way to give your tank an excellent pod boost is to keep your eyes peeled for any free chaetomorpha listings within your local reef club. Chaeto from another reefer's refugium is sure to be loaded with as many pods as you will ever need to begin your own breeding stock. Many of these bottled live pods companies rely on the fact that most people are unaware that their tanks are already swarming with pods. In my opinion? Save the money, get some free chaeto for your refugium (which you hopefully have), and enjoy the tons of pods that are already breeding within your system.

If you look closely, all of the "pods" bottles use deceptively sneaky language. They usually state things such as "may contain 1000-4000 pods", or "can contain up to and over 1000 pods". Sure, they can. They can also contain 10-20 pods, which is about the maximum that I've ever seen in any bottle. Most are advertised to be "unseen with the naked eye". Pretty convenient. So that means that if you're not seeing 1000, it may be because they're invisible. Kind of like the money in your wallet is about to become of you blow it on pods.

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I have purchased many things form that seller including pods and was very happy with my everything I have received from them. If you look at this listing it does not contain any of the wording shown above, all they do say is you will not be able to count them and this is true. What it does say is and I qoute...

"PLEASE OBSERVE THE SHEAR AMOUNT OF LIFE YOU RECEIVE AFTER YOU THUMP THE BAG GENTLY WITH YOUR FINGER. THE TRANSPORT MEDIA WILL LITERALLY CRAWL WITH LIFE- SO ENJOY AND PLEASE LET US KNOW IMMEDIATELY IF THERE IS ANY PROBLEM WITH YOUR SHIPMENT."

And one last note I have piece of coral I bought from them arrive in pretty bad shape. I emailed them a picture and with out any further questions I received a new one the next day, and the first one still resides in one of my tanks.

5. M&T

M&T Astrea Snail

I have to agree with JohnnyBoy we got some chaeto last week in our new refugium, and can already see amphipods and copepods. I now spend just as much time looking at my fuge as my DT

6. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I am not saying that that isnt a possibility but some of us are not fortunate enough to live near someone with a tank that is willing to share.

All I am saying is don't put ALL ebay sellers into a group, There are some very reputable sellers (me for example, LOL) that do not rip you off. And this pne in particular has treated me very well.....

7. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

Ok, so you have a ton of pods in your refugium. How do they get there from the refug. to the display? Obviously the return pump into the display, but wouldn't the pump kill them?

8. Click Here!

9. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

John wish were close I would share with you buddy.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Look at you dude!!! You were just waiting to take a pic weren't ya???!!!!

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yea, you clould always come over to the desert and take some off of my hands! But then the clowns might get bored...
    I wont comment on adding pods, since I never have (they are already in my tank), but I also will vouch for that particular e-bay seller. I've purchased from them numerous times in the past, always went well.

12. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

LOL why of course. Now I have to get a new addition to eat them up.