Pistol shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by wjrg, Oct 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wjrg

wjrg Astrea Snail

I will like to add a pistol shrimp and a yellow watchman goby but I want more information about the pistol. Is this shrimp reef seafe?

2. Click Here!

3. Kanook

Kanook Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I am also curious about the pistol shrimp, what other gobys will they form bonds with?

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

No, they are not reef safe. They eat fish and other inverts.

1 person likes this.
  5. wjrg

wjrg Astrea Snail

Thanks for the advice.

6. PumaKrieg

PumaKrieg Flamingo Tongue

definently stay away from pistols, if you have problems with them, they require removal of live rock and sifting through sand to find.

7. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

i ve had a yellow pistol & a yellow watchman goby for years in my tanks and the only problem i ever had was the undermining of the rock ,i had to remove them from my big tank and put them into a 40 gal mixed reef tank where they have been for several years and they have never bothered a thing, let alone eat anything except what i feed the tank,but this might just be my good fortune

8. Click Here!

9. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

ive got pistols in my tank, not sure how many exactly but i have no trouble with them my tank has coral and even other shrimp and ive had no trouble with them except the clicking noise when the lights go out

10. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have a pistol and a watchman. I got the pistol first hoping he would pair with my diamond but never did. Then I got the watchman and they are happily ever after together. I have never found a problem with my pistol. At this point he is small but I don't even hear him at night after the lights are out. I watch him move sand out of his burrow all the time. The only thing I can't really find in my tank and can't account for are my peppermint shirmp but I don't think it was him. He is so much smaller and they were around for 2 months before dissappearing but who knows! He is fun I think!

11. wjrg

wjrg Astrea Snail

All of you have diferent opinions and diferent experience with the pistol shrimp. In my 90g I have some small fish, 1 blue linkia, 2 fire shrimp, some snails and hermits. Are they in risk if i add a pistol shrimp.

12. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Everyone you speak with will have different opinion on everthing. If you ask me you shouold be fine if you keep them feed. They are mainly scavangers and if they can't find food then they go looking to kill things. They also eat copods. When I first added mine to my tank I would hear his pistol but never found any of my "friends" gone so I think he was getting copods. I don't hear that now but he comes out to eat when I feed the tank!

1 person likes this.