ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Plankton

Skin: Mint
bailey123 is on a distinguished road

gallery
Default peppermint shrimp killing snails?

Ok i have 2 peppermint shrimp that ive had for about a month now to rid my tank of aiptasia. They did a good job killing all of the aiptasia but i have had 3 snails die since i put them in there. My snails climb up the glass and fall off onto their backs quite frequently and one day i saw one flipped over with a peppermint shrimp on top picking it clean. I took the snail out and its shell was completely empty. Do you think it is the shrimp doing this or something else cause i also have a mexican turbo that never flips over and he is fine????
bailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Giant Squid

PackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 
3link 
gallery

Probably something else. The shrimp are probably just eating the snails after they have died.
PackLeader is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
Panda Puffer

phoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

either that or they are actually camel back shrimp
phoenixhieghts is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Giant Squid

PackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 
3link 
gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixhieghts View Post
either that or they are actually camel back shrimp
Not if they did a good job of eating the aiptasia. Camel Back's won't touch aiptasia
Old 09-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Plankton

gallery

What do you think it could be then? The only snails left are the ones who can flip themselves back over. The only things I have in the tank are the 2 shrimp and 2 snails now. My parameters are nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ammonia 0, ph 8.1, calcium 460ppm, alk 11dkh.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Giant Squid

3reefer 
contributor 
3link 
gallery

Could be that they are flipping over and can't upright themselves. Thats enough.
Do you have a grounding probe?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Plankton

gallery

Oh....what would be some snails that wont kill themselves or at least wont flip themselves over. No i do not have a grounding probe but i have a Ti heater that can act as a grounding probe.....should i use this?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:17 PM   #8
Bristle Worm

TJSlayer has a reputation beyond reputeTJSlayer has a reputation beyond reputeTJSlayer has a reputation beyond reputeTJSlayer has a reputation beyond reputeTJSlayer has a reputation beyond reputeTJSlayer has a reputation beyond reputeTJSlayer has a reputation beyond reputeTJSlayer has a reputation beyond reputeTJSlayer has a reputation beyond reputeTJSlayer has a reputation beyond reputeTJSlayer has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Any hermits in the tank? They will crab a helpless snail in no time if given the chance....
TJSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
Astrea Snail

snail is on a distinguished road

gallery

I think the peppermint is eating them in their defenseless position.

I had a sally lightfoot and a peppermint and a pair of maroon clowns in the tank. The Sally lightfoot vanished all but one leg. No other crabs in the tank. The clowns never went near the sally lightfoot.

I saw the peppermint shrimp go after my nassarious snail once too, and the snail wasn't on his back.
snail is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
Peppermint Shrimp

JustPhish has a spectacular aura aboutJustPhish has a spectacular aura aboutJustPhish has a spectacular aura about

gallery

What kind of snails are they? If they're astrea then I'd say the shrimp are just taking care of an easy meal. I find asstreas will die rather quickly if left on their back even if just overnight. Do you have tidal snails? You're saying they climb to the top then fall down makes me wonder if they are looking for the waterline so they can exit the water like some snails need do.
JustPhish is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!