New Feather Duster not Going into Tube when Touched??

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by HollyG, Jan 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

I picked up a soft tube feather duster today. Really pretty! He was fine in the store. When the guy touched him it disappeared back into its tube like normal. The guy never took him out of the water. He placed it in the container in the water so no air would get into the tube. I did the same at home. I acclimated him for about 45 mins. A couple mins into acclimation the feather duster's "feathers" came out of the tube like they normally do and then never went back in again. Even when I bumped the container, he didn't scare back into the tube, which I found odd. When it was time to place him in the tank, I made sure he stayed submurged and even as I handled him and place him in the tank his feathers were still out. I found this very strange as normally they would shoot back into their tube when touched, but he didn't for the whole few minutes I was moving him around trying to find him a nice spot. Did he maybe go into shock while acclimation? Should I be worried? Anyone know why he isn't responding when touched?

2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Why are you touching it in the first place? Just place it in the tank, and get your hands out! Think of the stuff your hands touch throughout the day... in your small little 10 gallon those oils and impurities are gonna be more evident.

4. HollyG

I'm not pokin him and randomly touching him!!!! I'm talking about when I was placing him in the tank. Once I found a place I left him. Don't just assume I'm randomly poking and touching him, I'm not and I never said that I was! I only put my hands in my tank when it's absolutely nessissary! I'm just saying that a normal feather duster would have been sucked inside the tube while being placed in the tank and he wasn't, so I'm a little worried that he went into shock.

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

he probably did a little bit! good luck!

6. HollyG

Yea, I'm just gunna keep my eye on him.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

i wouldnt worry too much yet! he's new, give him time to warm up a bit! I just ordered one from LA! can't wait! and also 2 clams and some SPS! can't wait!

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

When you say touched. i assume you are touching him to see if he goes in. thats what the post seemed like. my b

10. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

I wouldn't worry too much yet. I have four and each one seems to act different (they are Hawaiian feather dusters). Some will quickly hide if when I'm vacuum gravel, others will just cruise and do nothing, even if I accidently bump the rock they're on. If it gets stressed out, it will discard its crown. Just keep an eye on it over the next couple days and check it out at night also to see if it hides. I usually acclimate for 3hrs though and haven't lost one yet.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

you acclimate for 3 hours? how?

12. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

Wow! 3 hours? That's one crazy drip system.