my blue legged hermits are little stinky pants

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by samsdb0, Jun 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. samsdb0

samsdb0 Bristle Worm

the bigger ones anyway. even though i put a bunch of larger empty shells in there, they decided it would be cool to kill my large ceriths and take their shells instead :angry:

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I've heard blue legs are pretty aggressive, but I don't know if that is just a myth or not. Sorry to hear this!!

4. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Sorry for yur loss! I'm sure most of us here have lost a few snails along the way due to those darn hermits!!!

5. samsdb0

samsdb0 Bristle Worm

its not a big deal, snails are cheap. i just think they are doing it on purpose to annoy me

6. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

its the way of life i guess. my red/blue will attack a snail for their shell. ive witnessed them stalk, kill, take the shell, and move back to the old one. its ridiculous, but i try to just laugh it off.

i had one particular hermit that was off'in snails in record numbers. 3-4 a week till he finally found a big enough shell to start caring about other food instead of snails.

perhaps some just have a fetish for shells and wants a piece of any shell they see? seems like some other species i know... :)

ive come to the realization that once a year im prolly going to have restock snails of some sorts.

in fact a friend of mine just gave me a hermit crab from her nano tank because it was getting too large and killing her GIANT nass snails. so now i have a hermit crab with a really cool shell heh

7. samsdb0

samsdb0 Bristle Worm

one of mine fit into a nice big nass shell....but i dont think they killed it, i saw it dead in the bottom one day. or maybe they did, i dunno

maybe john soaks his snails in garlic so you have to go back and buy more hahaha

8. Click Here!

9. TriggersRule

TriggersRule Feather Duster

My rogue crabs are now sentenced to death by mantis any time I catch them acting up ;D

10. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

i had a sundial snail that hitchhiked on some zoas i got. i took it out and let it die and then put it back in the tank to let a hermit take over the shell. now i have a red legged hermit in a very cool looking shell. pretty cool stuff unless there killing things, but thats just the way it is unfortunatly

11. samsdb0

samsdb0 Bristle Worm

when my gf upgrades her tank ill be using her old one for a mantis tank

and then ill be doing just that ;D

12. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

my blue leggers ate the heck outta my GSP colony. I removed the culprit hermies and the destruction of my GSP ended.