HELP - freaking out

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by oldfishkeeper, Nov 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I got a piece of rock with some xenia on it this past weekend. I just noticed a small anemone and it had stripes on the tentacles, brownish color with white stripes. I know it is not an aiptasia because I definitely can identify those. It is in a tube in the rock - Coralline has me a bit scared regarding it being a majano - I thought when I got the rock - no, don't get a whole piece of rock, your tank is free of bad hitchhikers...Anyway, what should I do? I know most will want a pic but I don't think I can figure it out and only have a very crappy cell phone, but I could try. Any advice? :-[

2. Click Here!

3. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

if it's freaking you out. take it out ...

4. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

pic first lol and dont freak out to much haste kills ;D

if it is a manjo just QT the rock and coral or cut it off the rock in a seperate container.

HTH

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Take a look at this link.

Majano anemone control, removal, and identification

And google " Images of Majano". They come in different sizes, shapes and colors, in reality Majano seems to be a catch all for pest anemones not falling under the heading of Aiptasia.

Sorry if I made you uneasy regarding majanos presence in a tank, they will not grow to expansive numbers over night it just seems like it. Some populations never take off.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Take the rock out, lay it on a towel,

and use a fire starter to torch the area for about 30 secs to a minute, put the rock back in, it's gone.

these fire starters like for firelplaces, etc. direct the heat to a very small area- works for me!

OH wait- just remembered! While this has worked great for me, I took the rock out, and I put some concentrated Kalwasser in a syringe and injected the area with a small amount- about 1-2cc.
    Then put the rock back in, that worked too!

7. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Absolutely,I kept a good looking one in my nanocube for quite some time ,there are some very nice looking varieties of them,mine grew to the size of a quarter and never reproduced,however most all should be treated as a pest.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

ok, I looked at some pics and I feel pretty confident it's a majano. Coralline, it was good that I saw your hassles with them because I probably would have been, "oh, look at that cute little anemone." So, I took the rock out and filled all tubes with kalk paste and will let it set for 30 minutes. It was so small, it was hard to see when I removed the rock. Could this be the reason the xenia have not been opening up? It wasn't opened real well at the LFS either......

10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

If not taken care of it can turn into this... If you think it's a Manjo take it out!

This will not happen overnight but when they are not taken care of over years your tank can look like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. oldfishkeeper

BTW I did get a kick out of your post mrhighline. I have been a little stressed at work and menopause, bad combination :)

12. jlongwell

jlongwell Spaghetti Worm

I won't lie, I actually think that's kind of neat.

It's like the ultimate species tank. Technically, they're no longer a pest since they have nothing left to pester :)