Found my first hermit tonight...

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by kornaco40B, Jul 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

Sorry, no pics. It was pretty small. At first I thought it was some debris or waste against the glass in my dsb.

I moved it to the main tank. I'm pretty excited--being my first system and I never added any crabs. This guy is without shell, so I hope he finds a home soon. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Do you have empty shells in you tank?

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

No shell? Uh, oh...hope you put some in there. ;) ::) Pretty cool that you just found him though.

When I had my tank last year I had 5 hermit crabs in there that I had gotten from my LFS, but then one day I found a hermit (an era one) walking around without a shell on! Where'd it come from? I have no clue. lol. It ended up dying just a few days later. I found the shell-less body on one of my rocks.

5. kornaco40B

There's some empty shells available. A variety that appeared from my live sand I bought. I hope some a appealing. I was planning on dropping some extras once I got a few hermits. But this guy showed up before the party.. All the shells are in the main tank....guessing he wouldn't find much in the tank he was in.

So, what's the typical outcome of a hermit with no shell? For example, there weren't any potential predators where he was....just no available shells.

Yeah, thought it was neat. Sad ending, I hope this isn't the sequel to your story.

6. kornaco40B

He found a shell. A much larger one than I expected him to use. Now, whether it was empty I don't know. I'll need some even larger empty shells if he continues to upsize down the road.

7. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

Thats pretty awesome congrats on the find!!

8. Click Here!

9. kornaco40B

That's a lot! I was surprised to run up on him... ;D

10. Seano Hermano

Ooh, cool he found a shell! :D Congrats, man...better luck than I had. lol.

11. kornaco40B

Better for me. But not sure how he acquired the said shell... hhm?? There were old bleachy white shells available. But, this she looks like a newer one, possibly a Florida Cerith, from my order from John Maybe a got an empty grown cerith in my order, but i don't recall see any at the moment..

12. Seano Hermano

If you didn't have any other hermit crabs then it is likely that he may have killed one of your snails for the shell he liked.