Emerald. Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by jokaz82, Nov 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jokaz82

jokaz82 Fire Worm

I want to only have nonaggressive organisms in my tank.The hermits are the most aggressive thing in there now & y'all know they aren't that bad. I was wanting to get an emerald crab (to help with algae) but am unsure if it would harass my gobies, kenya trees, or peppermint shrimp.

What do y'all think?

2. Click Here!

3. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

I just got 3 of them a few weeks ago. I haven't seen them since. When I did my research the most common info said they will usually leave everything alone as long as they are in a well fed tank. Considered reef safe and just like any crab will probably be opportunistic if need food. Hope that helps.

4. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

as long as hes well fed he should be fine...i have one that doesnt bother anyone(that ive seen) and he does a good job on algae....some people tend to have some problems but most people who say they are problems say it after hearing another story...these guys get a worse rap then necessary

however sometimes he has knocked over a few smaller frags when moving around clumsily but nothing to serious

5. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

We have a few in our frag tank at work and they dont do any harm. Hope that helps.

6. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

I've got 3, with never and issue. And they are big too.

7. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

The only issue I've had with mine is eating the wall tube that my feather duster makes. I suppose there's algae growing on it and the crab sees this as a free meal. Other than that they look very neat in the tank. I've got 2 in my 55g.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I have never had any problems with them. They eat any non calcareous algae IME.

10. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

+1 ^ Same here

11. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I've never had issues with emeralds in a reef environment.

12. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

i see mine every other day or so +1 on the oportunistic feeder if food is needed but id hope that we would all have a well fed tank though lol