dirty pod farm

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by zzzzzzzzpr, Nov 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zzzzzzzzpr

zzzzzzzzpr Purple Spiny Lobster

i have a farm that needs to be cleaned. i have lots of brown stuff at the bottom. pods are eating the stuff i think but i also have them on my heater. so how do i clean it if i need to. also if i dont need to clean it whats the filter i need that collects them and lets everything else through.

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

what type of container do you have your pods on. What the brown stuff is actually the extoskeleton that has been shed. You might need to get them out depending on the container/tank you are using.

4. zzzzzzzzpr

zzzzzzzzpr Purple Spiny Lobster

im useing a sterilite container and the brown stuff looks like the stuff after a cycle.

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

we have ours in a white round pyrex dish............ not sure in a square dish but we swirl our dish around and cause a little "tornado" in ours. The shells will go into the center. Then drop some phyto around the edge and the pods will swim out there and they siphon the shells out.

Yeah the shells definatley look like cyano but it is the shells. If you dont get them out what will happen is the ammonia will build up and kill off some of your stock