Cleaner shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by starfish2217, Jul 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

yesterday I added a cleaner shrimp to my tank, and I haven't seen him since. Do they hide until they feel comfortable or should I be worried?

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Yes, generally they will hide for a few days or so. What else is in the tank besides the new starfish?

4. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

They are often seen when adding food to the aquarium. They can also be seen scavenging at night.

5. starfish2217

another serpent banded starfish, two clowns, clown goby, fire shrimp, and I added a yellow choris wrasse a few hours after adding the shrimp, I did look for him at night to see if he was out and about but he wasn't, Im hoping he will come out when I feed today.

Im not too worried yet, its just all the others I have had are not shy at all and are always roaming the tank.

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

you got a lid for this one right?

7. starfish2217

YES ! no more jumping fish.. I can't take it anymore! The cleaner shrimp is still no where to be seen I just fed the tank.. hmmm

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Some individuals are just more shy than others in a new tank; also, if he molted within the past couple days before you bought him he'll be even more so. He should turn up eventually. :)

10. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

When I first got mine it hid for about a week. He didnt even come out in the night. Now, the pig that he is, is ALWAYS looking for food. So don't worry yet

11. hank8888

hank8888 Coral Banded Shrimp

I just added one too he is not the shy and when i turn the lights off he hanging out on top of my rocks. They are pigs mine thinks it will never get food so it is all over my tank trying to get food. O and mine will get on my hand and try to clean me when i am working on the tank it scared me at first.

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Is that a serpent brittle starfish?If it is they can grow to a foot in diameter.Also your wrasse may be picking on your shrimp. They have been known to do this.
    From LA :A 50 gallon or larger aquarium with a sealed lid, a 2-3 inch sandy bottom to hide under when frightened, and other peaceful Wrasses, including its own species, provides a good environment. It will eat fireworms and pyramidellid snails, protecting corals and clams. In addition, it may eat feather dusters, wild shrimp, tubeworms, and flatworms. It may also eat parasites off of tank mates.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011