Black Longspine Urchin (Diadema setosum) IOTM April '09

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by slocal, Apr 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. slocal

slocal Doot!

The Black Longspine Urchin

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy of salsalito.....
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/members/salsalito25.html

Basic Info:
    Size: Varies per species (the species pictured about 7 or 8 inches)
    Level of Care: Beginner
    Temperament: Peaceful
    Diet: Mainly Herbivore (See Life in the Aquarium and Diet)
    Origin: Indo-Pacific
    Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons
    Reef Safe: Mostly (See Diet)
    Invert Safe:Yes
    Fish Safe: Yes

Classification and Origin:

The Black Longspine Urchin (Diadema setosum) also known as the Hatpin Urchin is an interesting invertebrate common in aquariums. The Longspine hails from the Indo-Pacific and is from the genus Diadema. This genus also includes D. savignyi (Indo-Pacific from Africa to the S. Pacific), D. antillarum (Tropical W. Alantic), and D. paucispinum (E. and S. Pacific). The Longspine makes its primary home in the waters from the South Pacific all the way to the Red Sea and also Japan.

General Morphology:

The Longspine, as with all urchins, has a hard skeleton called a test, coming from the Latin word “testa” meaning tile or shell. Like other urchins, the Longspine has an aboral mouth (downward facing). This means that it’s anus in actually on the top of the animal and is used for solid waste. The urchins expel non-solid waste, ammonia, through their gills. This urchin is covered the trademark spines of this species. Urchins move on tube-like feet powered by a water vascular system. They are quicker than most would assume them to be. Being from the phylum Echinodermata (Greek for hedgehog), they have the similar characteristics of movement as starfish. The Longspine’s red ring around the anus lends to its relatively easy identification from other members of the genus.

Life in the Aquarium:

The growth rate will vary from wild and captive Longspines. In captivity, one can expect growth upwards of about four inches in diameter and spines seldom longer than eight inches. In the wild, these urchins can grow spines of up to a foot in length. A medium (fifty gallons) should be the minimum when thinking of acquiring a Longspine. Mature tanks with plentiful algae growth would be the best for this urchin though they also feed on some detritus and small animals. Do not be surprised if you do not see your Longspine most of the time as they are mostly nocturnal by nature.

Diet:

The Longspine should be considered reef-safe and gets along with most marine animals. Urchins are herbivores and can therefore play a vital role as an interesting member of the clean-up crew. One note of caution on their appetite, they have been known to feed on coralline and damage some polyps. This should not scare aquarists away as it is thought that this may stimulate more growth. If sufficient algae are not in place for the urchin, its diet can be supplemented with meat such as mussels and shrimp. It is even said that they will eat Caulerpa, though one may be a bit squeamish to introduce this to their aquarium.

Introducing Into Aquarium:

When introducing the Longspine, drip acclimation is the preferred method. As with most invertebrates, copper is a killer as is large fluctuations in water quality. Due to the pain of its spines (comparable to bee stings), one should not handle this urchin by hand. A net would not suffice either, since the spines will get caught. A method of trapping is considered best. Coax the urchin into a cup with a piece of food and A LOT of patience.

6 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

Cool, my urchin is the coolest thing I have. Nice article, Mines an orange spot too. I put up a bottom view cause its creepy lookin. [​IMG]

4. slocal

slocal Doot!

That's creepy and cool at the same time!

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

cool article. I had a black long spine that I had to get rid of. Did a great job but got too big for my 135g tank and was always knocking over my coral frags so I traded him in at the LFS.

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

very nice article Slocal!!

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

my question is does a trim hurt the animal?

8. Click Here!

9. slocal

slocal Doot!

Thanks! Good to see you btw :D

10. slocal

slocal Doot!

I have heard of people doing this with the Longspine, but I personally wouldn't do it.

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

12. slocal

slocal Doot!

Thanks baugherb :D

I'd also like to thank salsalito25 for the great pic.