anemone question

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by oldfishkeeper, Nov 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Hi All: I read something yesterday on the forums and wanted to ask about this. I read where that if you have an in-tank heater that that provides an area of danger for an anemone?? I knew about powerheads but never thought about my heater. Is this true? and is there anything that one can do to prevent the anemone from potentially attaching to the heater?

2. Click Here!

3. MickyB

MickyB Astrea Snail

Hi Mindy, I hope your Bio Pellets have started working, and in regards to your post I dont know if heaters are a danger or not but from my experience they never feel hot while submerged, I use a 2 kw heater on my pond during the winter just to keep it from freezing and you can safely grasp it while it's on and it barely feels warm.
    You could always buy a heater guard if worried, they are just a plastic tube with vents that the heater slides into.

4. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Well the best case scenario is putting the heat in your sump/filtration. Then you wouldn’t have to worry about it at all. if that’s not possible then I would do what Mickey said and get a heater guard, sure it may look bad in the dt but is it really worth the risk.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Hey Micky! Well, alas, my biopellet adventure continues....I just switched over to the ecobak and am starting with a small amount per instructions and kept a few of the BRS still in there so as not to shock the system. The jury is still out....so far, not a dent in the trates but we'll see once I get the full amount tumbling. Thanks for the advice. I never even thought about a heater being a problem. My anemone quest continues....:)

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes I have heard the same, and I do not finding it surprising.

I have always had my heaters in sumps or back compartments, I would be concerned with anemone and heater in a DT.