to anemone or not to anemone. that is the question.

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Gexx, Dec 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

well they have a sale at the lafs and a condy anemone is for sale at 10.00. ive been reading about them and know what to do for it but just cant find wether the condy is an easier (non are easy but anemone wise) anemone to keep alive or a harder one. all i can get is -moderate- on liveaquaria. are they harder to keep alive or easier? well just wondering i thought for ten dollars i should try one but just wanted to see what you say.

2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

4. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

hmmm interesting. would it fair well in my 29 with 150W MH lighting? i mean, i dont want it to get burned or anything.

5. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I had a few Condy's before, but in my experience they were way too aggressive of an anemone, mine actually ate my 1 1/2" cleaner shrimp, and was one of the only anems i've ever had actually kill a fish in my tank too (chromis)...they are super cheap in florida because they are native to the waters ($5 at the LFS) but IMO they are that way for a reason....mine ALWAYS was on the move almost everyday...and then they moved right back to the LFS because i wasnt going to lose anything else..lol

6. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

wow so that might be a no go. anybody have any positive experience with them? are you sure it was a condy and not a LT?

7. Kevin3884

Yeh positive...i had 2 of them..after one of them ate the cleaner, i took them back...they don't let clowns host them either..at least not in my experience.

8. Click Here!

9. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

so it might eat my shrimp, blenny, and emerald crab/possibly my clownfish.

10. Kevin3884

I cant guarentee anything about a clown because they are supposed to be able to withstand stings, but if your shrimp, crab, or blenny stumbles upon it, in my experience it wasnt good for my shrimp and chromis

1 person likes this.
  11. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

i can move the shrimp to the 10 gal is necessary. they lfs has emerald crabs and they are always under the anemones almost like for protection. i can move the blenny and shrimp if need be later. is this a good plan? and thank you for helping me. K+ to yea. thanks.

12. Kevin3884

its ultimately up to you if you buy one, but IMO its just not really worth it, they dont get colorful, they don't host clowns, they move around quite a bit (imagine one gettin caught in a powerhead), and they don't require high light because they are quite carnivorous....why not save up an extra $20 and buy a BTA instead?