What is this a Copepod w/ feathers

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Hackem688, Oct 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

I was looking in my fuge last night and I saw what looked like a pile of feathers moving around pretty fast too. They went across the fuge and climbed up a plant even. When I pulled it from the tank (yes it was almost half inch) it looked like a Copepod with feathers on its back and the biggest one I ever seen. So I took the time to look up a few things and found nothing. Don’t ask because it was impossible to take a picture of it I tried and I have like a 500$ camera. Before I remove them id like to know what it is if its a copepod ill leave it.

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

try and just get 1-2 out if you can, put them in a small amount of water in a butter dish or something and snap a pic if you can
    never even heard of anything that looks like this so without a pic i got no clue

4. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

this is the best I could do but its 1024x768 so you can get a good look

Attached Files:

5. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

does your camera have a macro setting?

6. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

I guessing some type of worm nudibranch

7. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Nudibranches do not move that fast though.

8. Click Here!

9. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

10. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

well there not that fast I man exagrated a little but now I wonder are they bad or good

11. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

A nudibranch (pronounced /ˈnjud ɪ bɹæŋk/ (BrE) or /ˈnud ɪ bɹæŋk/ (AmE)[1]) is a member of one suborder of soft-bodied, shell-less marine opisthobranch gastropod mollusks, which are noted for their often extraordinary colors and striking forms. The suborder Nudibranchia is the largest suborder of heterobranchs, with more than 3,000 described species.

The word "nudibranch" comes from the Latin nudus, naked, and the Greek brankhia, gills.

Nudibranchs are often casually called "sea slugs", a non-scientific term. This has led some people to assume that every sea slug must be a nudibranch. Nudibranchs are very numerous in terms of species, and are often very attractive and noticeable, but there are a wide variety of other kinds of sea slugs, and these belong to several taxonomic groups that are not very closely related to nudibranchs. A fair number of these other sea slugs are colorful, and can be confused with nudibranchs.

These other marine shell-less gastropods or "sea slug" groups include additional heterobranch shell-less gastropod groups such as the Cephalaspidea sea slugs including the colorful Aglajidae, and other heterobranchs such as the Sacoglossa, the sea butterflies, the sea angels, and the often rather large sea hares. The term sea slug is also sometimes loosely applied to the only very distantly related, pelagic, caenogastropods within the superfamily Carinarioidea, and may also be casually used for the even more distantly related pulmonate sea slugs, the Onchidiidae.