Mushroom or small RBTA?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by generic_411, Mar 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. generic_411

generic_411 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So I recently posted a thread in the corals section about a great deal I got on a large LR that was covered in green colony polyps, feather duster worms, and what I thought was a single mushroom. Now that it has been in my tank for a few days I am wondering if the mushroom may actually be a RBTA...just a small one. It is pretty flat against the rock, but it has a lot of large ‘bubbles’ on it. I know that many mushrooms have those, but these are unlike anything I have ever seen. They are quite large, relative to normal mushrooms and they are long. The mushroom is maybe 1.25" in diameter, but these bubbles/tentacles are at least .25" long. It is the same dark rosy color as a BTA. Also, last night it looked as though it was trying to relocate. I have heard that sometimes mushrooms will do this, but it was almost like it was attempting to release from the rock, but then it just settled back down and flattened back against the LR

So would this be a mushroom? Or is it possible that I have a RBTA instead?

Sorry that there isn't a pic. I tried everything I could, but my camera sucks and it always just looks like a big dark spot...

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Without a picture, we can only guess. Is it possible that you've got a ricordea polyp (if you do a Google image search, you'll get a ton of pictures to look at)?

4. jason12345

jason12345 Flamingo Tongue

yah i think its a ricordea

5. generic_411

generic_411 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I think I have come to the same conclusion. It just didn't look like one when I first aquired it. It was one of many awesome hitchhikers on the LR and I was never sure what it actually was, but know I think it must be a ricordea.

Don't they usually flouresce at the tips? Mine does have little white tips, but doesn't really glow, but I guess that is probably just my lighting.

6. weboddity

weboddity Astrea Snail

RBTA info

Since you can't get a good photo of the mushroom/RBTA then you might want to check out Karen's Rose Anemones Site, it is one of the most concise and informative sites for RBTAs. She has the most pictures of RBTAs I've seen in one place, and may help you ID what you have. If it is a RBTA this site will provide you with all the information you will need.