ID this small starfish?!?! (pics to come later)

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Strickland_673, Mar 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Strickland_673

Strickland_673 Fire Shrimp

I noticed today in my display tank, there was a tiny starfish. about 1/8" across, and purple. It doesn't have very promenent legs, very short stumpy fat ones. It's actually very hard to notice the 5 legs, i thought it was corraline algae. Anyone have any clue what this is?!?! sry no pics until i see it again?!?!?!

2. Click Here!

3. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

Asterina starfish. If you go to the Common Hitchhikers thread you can get a detailed photo. I think you will see it is exactly what you have.

1 person likes this.
  4. Strickland_673

EXACTLY what it is....thanks...karma for you......

Are these things bad??

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

No. They will suck up waste and act as part of the clean up crew. If the population increases to a point where they are all over the place, just use the scoop method of population control and get as many out manually as possible. That's what I plan to do if mine get to frisky.

1 person likes this.
  6. Strickland_673

I've read mixed opinions in the last ten minutes or so...fast research....some say they can eat corals?!?!

7. Strickland_673

John you've answered a lot of my questions over the past few months.....karma!