bought thinking it was a montipora

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by gaz2374, Jan 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gaz2374

gaz2374 Plankton

Now I think it's something else as it seems to have a mouth in the middle albeit tiny like a zoa. It's metallic green on purple it might open up a bit more over the weekend but looked like a monti in the shop and the guy said he though it was of some kind. What do u guys think

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

picture is tough.. need some better and different views with different lighting so we can see actual color etc. Doesn't really look like a monti to me and you said it looks like it has mouth in middle... can we get picture of that also

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Almost looks like a Pectina Coral but really need a better image under less blue lighting please.

5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

some type of Scolymia is my guess

6. gaz2374

gaz2374 Plankton

Its what the wife sent me off her phone as I'm at work. Will crack the dslr out tomorrow. Was thinking a plate coral due to its ridges but there not pronounced like my other plates and it doesn't have tentacles also mouth is tiny if it is even a mouth just a tiny slot.

7. gaz2374

gaz2374 Plankton

Lights had only just changed will try tomorrow to decent pics but some of the names ylyou guys through out I can the Google for now to waste time at work lol

8. Click Here!

9. gaz2374

gaz2374 Plankton

The Pectina Corals on Google images seem to have simular trates as mine, being metallic with slight ridges, will gets better pic but looking like those so far

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

It's a chalice-like coral; the species is right on the tip of my tongue. Give me a minute.

11. gaz2374

gaz2374 Plankton

Think iv found it, oxypora chalice, come to think of it it does have a plastic tag under the base that says oxy.sp but didn't pay any attention as,iv never heard of it

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  12. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Interesting I always thought chalice were multi mouthed but check this image out. Although we still need better pictures it may be in line with this

The Cherry Corals Burning Sky Chalice is a Jaw Dropper | AquaNerd