Replacing end panel in 225 gallon tank

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Pickupman66, Jun 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I am working on a 225 gallon tank that was gifted to me because it has a broken end panel. I have removed all the glass and all the silicone. it is completely clean. I had a new pane cut today. im afraid it is too small. when it sits there, with no clamps on the front and back glass, i have a gap of about 1/8-1 1/6 inch or about 4 razor blades on one side. I have the top frame removed. I can squeeze with my hand the gap out to nothing and it tapers down to the width of a single blade at the bottom. when I clamp it and then throw another clamp in the middle, cannot stick the blade in at all anywhere except at the bottom on both sides. it is a snug fit. will this work, or will I have to get another piece fit? Problem is the glass I have is 24" and the glass cutter says it is very hard to cut just the inch off of it.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3 reef. You will want an exact fit. Otherwise you are looking at catastrophic failure right in the face.

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yes, you definitely want a perfect fit. Remember that the silicone joint is all that is keeping the water in the tank.

5. Pickupman66

It was redone. came out perfectly.tank has been 1/2 full of water for 3 days with no leaks.

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Sweet. Can't wait to see this thing come together.

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Good news. Post up a pic:)

8. Click Here!

9. Pickupman66

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cleaned
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prepped
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After Silicone was laid
    [​IMG]

It was a bit gloppy here but i know I had a good seal thru and thru.
    [​IMG]

Filling with water. the pump you see is my emergency drain. in case I saw any leaks or signs of disaster, I can drain it at 1800 gph.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I cleaned up the Edges where is was relly gloppy. just cut and trimmed the silicone. also trimmed up the vertical seams so they are nice and straight. If I had to do it over again, I would have put the tape much closer to the edge, but I LOVE the black silicone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

sweet, cant wait for the DIY pitorial :jester:
    now, where can I find a deal like that one?

Edit: I see the pics went up as I was typing :joker:

11. Pickupman66

I only filled it 1/2 way due to not having any support on the top rim. that is supposed to come in this week or next. Ill call them (LFS) tomorrow and see if it arrives. once that is in and the silicone has a few days to cure, I will fill her full up and let it sit for a while to make sure it is stable and holds water.

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Good deal. That's a good and proper silicone to use as well.

Now everyone notice where the original pane broke, and the location of the drilled hole.;) I keep telling people that drilling high and int eh upper corners is where to drill. This pic shows that lower int he tank and centered is not a good plan.