New fuge done and running.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by 1sleeper, Jan 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1sleeper

1sleeper Astrea Snail

Hey guys, got my new fuge up and running this past weekend.
    Here is the old wet/dry.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. 1sleeper

1sleeper Astrea Snail

Here is the new sump/fuge. I bought the 30 gallon glass at petsupplies on sale for $45. It is 36Lx12Wx16H. The water comes in the left through a custom diffuser under a bubble trap and into the skimmer chamber (7.75"LX10"H). Through another bubble trap/media tray into the return section (12LX10H). The refugium is on the right (13LX14H) and fed off the return pump. Flow was set so there were no bubbles off the teeth of the fuge area and then dialed in with the pump return valve back into the return section. I covered both ends for noise and to keep the critters in. The input diffuser/top bulhead was built as part of the cover because the previous owner glued the elbow & hose barbs for the wet/dry to the bulk heads under the tank and I didn't want to modify it full of water. Solid PVC would have been easier. I hope someone looking to build a new sump gets some ideas, as that is how I got mine. Thanks to everyone that took the time to post pics.

Attached Files:

4. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

wow, looks good to me. Im working on getting a refuge going on my tank, and that helps seeing your pics.

5. 1sleeper

1sleeper Astrea Snail

magnet holders

Lastly, I didn't know where to fasten a top off bracket so I bought 100 epoxy coated magnets off ebay for $25. Thes little suckers are strong. If one on the outside isn't enough put 2 or 3 and it's not moving. I glued them to the top off bracket with silicone and even coated over them for added assurance. I also glued them to my heater suction cups. To keep them from banging on the outside of the glass you just slide them into position. Works sweet. Now the bracket is adjustable with a litle muscle.
    BTW, I did have to remove the center brace to get that 36" tank under the 48" stand. I build a saw horse type brace like he did on melvereef. When I knocked out the brace, I think I peed a little.:toilet:

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Nice clean job

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

What size pump do you have on your Remora? That is a HOT model isn't it? If so I was wondering why you put in in the tank. You would be able to hold more water if it was hanging on the outside. The more water you have, the more forgiving it will be if some parameters spike. Good job on it! Pat on the back for that one. This is how I have mine set up.
    remora in sump.jpg

8. Click Here!

9. 1sleeper

1sleeper Astrea Snail

Hey Otty, I saw that how you mounted the HOB. It is not a remora, it is the Urchin Pro (in sump) with a mag-drive 3.
    Thanks for the props guys, it is a great DIY project. You can get as fancy or utilitatian as you like. Bottom line is, it's just want I wanted, fits perfect, and saved me some tin ($). ;D

10. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Nice job. I really like the idea of the magnets so you can adjust the level of the top off. :)

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ditto. What a great idea. 8)

12. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp