My sump/fuge/equipment closet build.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Powerman, Feb 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So I wanted to add a fuge to my 90g. Thought about adding a container, but not much room in my stand. Saw all the DIY stands here, and figured I would build an oversized one. Then I thought about putting my equipment in the stairway closet on the other side of the wall from my tank. I didn't think that would fly with the wife, but after her blessing, I'm getting started.

Here is what I have.
    [​IMG]

Here is the 58g show I bought off Craigs list.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He only used 3/32 glass. I knew it would hold, but I was real afraid of breaking it in the future. So I replaced the baffles with 1/4", and got rid of the bubble trap on the fuge side.

[​IMG]

Here is my closet. Cleaned most of it out.

[​IMG]

I'm replumbing my drain and return with larger flex PVS, and I also bought a PM Bullet 1 to replace my EV-120. I will be selling it soon.

My only concern is closet ventilation and whether I will need it or not. I do have a chiller.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Cool. Looking forward to seeing it in operation.

4. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

5. james37128

james37128 Coral Banded Shrimp

You may want to take that middle baffle out, its going to trap saltwater there and it will go stagnant, flow wont make it to the bottom.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

The "middle" in the pic is the out side of the bubble trap from the skimmer section. The return chamber is in the middle. I just chose to put the middle baffle in last. Work out OK, but I goobered things up with silicone.

Going to get to work leak testing today, and getting the plumbing going. Still have a bit of rearranging on the closets. I will have it up and running this weekend, but probably won't be able to work on it Saturday. Need to keep the wife happy.;)

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I put my sump and equipment in a room right bebehind my tank was well. It's great, a lot less noise and very clean looking.

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Exactly. We have limited closet space, but this will work much better. Like you said, less noise, and I will be able to put away all my fish stuff. Everything in the closet, and storage in my cabinet after I take the sump out.

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Another question.

My closet is at least painted, but would if be wise to put up some sort of plastic back splash behind my tank?

11. agent77

agent77 Astrea Snail

I wouldnt put plastic up behind the tank as it will condensate and cause mold to grow , if you have children even worse for them .

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So got it sitting there. Picked up substrate for the fuge. Probably won't get much done. Trying to lay out my plumbing to minimize how many times I will have to run to HD in the middle of my project.;)

I have it pretty much nailed down. A couple of more things to pick up. Here it sits.

[​IMG]

I'll have Sunday and Monday to get it done and going.

Later will be ATO and a power distribution panel with individual switches for my equipment.