The Maxi-Jet Prop mod

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Covey, Apr 18, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Another one I didn't invent but I don't think any 3reef users have made one yet so I thought I would get it started. I built my first one 2 weeks ago and plan to built a few more in the coming week. I built a overflow, a few stands, rock racks, and even a calcium reactor but this is hands down one of the cooliest DIY projects I have seen. Basically you use a the good old bread and butter Maxi-Jet and replace the stock housing and impeller with a new housing and a propeller. I used the MJ1200 in the first one and it takes the stock 298gph MJ and jack it up to around 3000GPH. All still with the the same power usage. It really is amazing.

I thought I would get started with a teaser. My version 1.0. Basically the does this thing work stage.
    [​IMG]
    In the next week or so I am going to post a how-to but I thought I would get you drooling first.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I thought I would post some pics of this in action. Here it is in the tank note the small green leather coral. The pump is off in this pic.
    [​IMG]
    In this pic the pump is turned on. At over a foot away the MJ displaces enough water that the leather is sucked towards it. The leather seem to really enjoy this because it is totally polyped out.
    [​IMG]

4. Jagsy

Jagsy Plankton

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That Is Too Cool! 8)

6. mwlude

mwlude Astrea Snail

would this work to make my Aqua C skimmer better or would it be too much?

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

IMO, the only problem w/ this mod is that the propeller go diff. direction everytime it starts. So, if you use a wavemaker or time, everytime it turnoff then on, it will blow, and the next time, it will suck.

I haven't try making yet because of this. There is a fix floating around, but I didn't get to it yet.

Covey, is yours like that or u got it to run in 1 direction.

10. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

You can build a stop into the pump. When the pump starts the right way it runs. When it runs the wrong way it prop pulls out hits the stop and reverses. It takes a bit of playing with to get the right space between the two but it works once it is set up. I but a second one that turns out really good but I can post any pics until the internet in my building gets fixed.

I am posting this from the local library. The horror!

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Internets back heres the new one LOVE THIS MOD.
    [​IMG]

12. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

What do you use for the shaft? looks good, where did you get the mesh from?
    Is that a straw at the openning?

Thanks!