help with stand plans

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by billielewis3, Feb 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

but i wanna make sure im doing this right before i commet to it.
    [​IMG]

93 Gallon Cube stand
    31”x31”x31”
    8 - 2x6’s @ 29.5”
    2 – 2x6’s @ 28”
    8 – 2x4’s @ 20”
    4 – 2x4’s @ 31”

lemme know what you think, any advice would be great, i never built somthing that had to hold 1000 pounds 24/7 so i wanna do this right.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

Any reason you have the sides and back open? Your design will be much more stable with closed sides and at the very least much more material on the back for lateral stability.

Are you planning on a sump? If you are you may want to consider a taller stand.

4. redfishsc

redfishsc Feather Duster

I strongly suggest you keep your design as you have it drawn, with 1 easy change.

Put a vertical 2X4 going from the floor all the way to the top, on the inside of each corner. This ties your top and bottom frames together VERY strongly.

5. redfishsc

redfishsc Feather Duster

BTW you don't need to use 2X6's on the top and bottom frames. 2X4's will work fine.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I was going to say the exact same thing till I saw you beat me to it redfish.

+1 Especially on the 2x4 from floor to the top suggestion from redfish. <- that is an addition to what you show, not a replacement, to be clear.

7. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

Yea I was thinking of adding the 2x4 braces in the middle but I saw some of the other plans on here for normal rectangle tanks and they didnt have anything on the front/back sides and those tanks span 40+ inches without support.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

*if* you are referring to what redfish and I said, we are not talking about up the middle. We are talking about the inside of every corner.

10. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

haha oh yea, thats on my original plans i just couldnt draw it up in paint without it looking dumb. that what the 4 2x4's @ 31" are for.