Glass Tanks

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Drew, Aug 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Drew

Drew Plankton

What kind of do you make tanks out of and where might get and prices? For 1/4" glass

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I don't really understand your question. Are you saying you want to get glass and build your tank out of glass? If so your better off buying one, but again I don't follow your question.

4. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

call your local glass shop and tell them what your looking to get done. then double check their numbers on thickness and price on google.

~Will.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Well, if you want it drilled, I would use non-tempered glass, if not use tempered. However, it will most likely be cheaper to just buy a tank unless you need specific, custom dimensions.

6. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

If I'm readin' ya right, you're asking "what type of glass?" and, "where do I get it from?" You're looking for 1/4" glass, too, if my assessment is correct. The type of glass you want is non tempered glass if you're going to drill--as stated above. Where to get it from? A glass shop! Look it up in the phone book or google it. Scrap glass isn't expensive. Obtaining the glass is the easy part.

The two responders give good advice, but if you REALLY know what you're doing, have watched a few "how to's" on YouTube, or read a few online, it can be done. It's not impossible. Contrary to popular sentiment, it's a good deal cheaper to build your own, too--but I can't stress enough, it's not an undertaking for the inexperienced. It requires practice, two people (would make it worlds easier), confidence, and proper planning. All materials have to be laid out, steps pre-done in your mind--and the glass must be cut ultra precisely for everything to work out. There are many considerations, such as center braces, eurobraces, and how to go about accomplishing said support structures. If you're going to cut the glass yourself, practice with scraps until you're confident. Again, the cuts have to be aircraft-accurate. Once a glass tank is filled, forces are exerted in ways that will exploit any deviations from perfection--and you'll have your worst nightmare on your hands. Remember, if it were easy, everyone would do it, and most major tank manufacturers would be out of business.

In many ways, it's MUCH more convenient to simply buy a tank, but if you're that strapped for cash, have at it.

If it's your first time, I'd recommend reading about it until you can do it in your sleep before you embark upon such a project.

Good luck! :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009