Ever make your own tank?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by tidus10, Jun 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tidus10

tidus10 Astrea Snail

i have! i was given an old old 55gal and thought "i wonder if i can make a different tank from this" well ive never cut glass, im 23 and was bored.. so i went out bought the cheapest glass scorer i could find and went to work taking apart this 25year old 55gal take.. the tank sticker inspected by jesus, i believe them. the tank was build like a brick! omg i dont recommend that to anyone! but it was taken apart and i found out the glass was 5/8" think after i already ordered my front and back glass for 1/4" thick :angry: but oh well, from this 55gal tank i got a bottom piece and the two sides free.. paid $45 for the front and back glass total... the tank is a nice 30" long 20" thick and 24" tall.. i sadly lost a lot of build photos...

[​IMG]
    two weeks later
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after silicone, and glass i have maybe $60 into this 66ish gallon tank

2. Click Here!

3. tidus10

tidus10 Astrea Snail

also learned what happens when you try to cut glass thats tempered and inspected by jesus [​IMG]

4. tidus10

tidus10 Astrea Snail

So what do you guys think? It's going to be a rimless tank, the corners just haven't been taken off yet, will the 1/4" glass be strong enough? Here's a final photo, has a brace but it didn't stay on... Have to rethink that.. [​IMG]
    My DIY screen lid to let air out and fish in![​IMG]

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Nice DIY, I think it turned out great!

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

24" tall requires 1/2" thick glass the last time I checked. Anything 21" or taller does I believe. Anything with a length of 48 needs 1/2" as well. You'll need to seriously brace the top and make a custom, 1 piece rim for the bottom to brace that as well. IMO, you still might have a blowout from the pressure of a 24" talk tank. Looks like you did a fine job on the tank however. I'm pulling for you...hope it works out.

7. Soggytoes

Soggytoes Flamingo Tongue

I give you credit! I would have never thought to recycle an older tank like that. Good luck. Hope it works out for you!

8. Click Here!

9. jtrasap

jtrasap Astrea Snail

Very cool build, Tidus. 1/4" is definitely pushing it for the front and back glass. For the brace, rather than siliconing small pieces to the inside of the front and back glass, I'd get another piece of glass cut to the same width as the brace but a 1/2" shorter and silicone it flat against one side of the brace so that it sticks down into the tank. Maybe even have the second piece made with 3/8" glass to give it more surface area to contact with the inside of the front and back glass. I've built and rebuilt quite a few tanks, I've also had one blow out on me due to using too thin of glass. 30" long x 24" high is definitely pushing it. If it were me I would go thicker.

10. tidus10

tidus10 Astrea Snail

honestly if it blows out, im not out much and it was great fun :) so no real loss, and ive heard so many different things about the glass thickness its hard to keep up :-X

11. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I hope it all works out for you :)

12. TrialandError

TrialandError Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Cute tank. I once made a tank when I did freshwater out of a plastic jar animal crackers came in.