Drilling My 30 gal glass tank

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by fishflyer, Nov 11, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishflyer

fishflyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So I am thinking of drilling my 30 gal AGA tank. The AGA website says under technical info that this tank does not have tempered glass.

Any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I would check with them directly to just make sure, Most newer tanks from my experience have a tempered glass bottom. John

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Only glass they AGA has tempered is the bottom panel Its a simple drill for them just make a damn with Plumbers putty and fill it with about 1/8 deep cooking oil or 3and 1 will also work Drill at a medium speed and steady pressure and use a towel folded as a backing on the inside of the tank that will keep the bit from chipping the last cut. If you have access to a drill press all the better same method for oiling the bit just let the press do the work. Perfecto is not a good one to do I had them tell me twice that a particular tank was not tempered LOL KAAABOOM. But AGA are never tempered other then the bottom.

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I used water instead of oil but I guess ether will do. Just one more tip don't push on the drill when you are drilling as it will cause chipping of the glass.

6. fishflyer

fishflyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So no drilling the bottom I guess.
    I will try to call them Monday.