DIY Sump Return Placement?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by TopsReef, Feb 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TopsReef

TopsReef Plankton

Hello, I am setting up a 55 gallon and was thinking of drilling the return on the opposite end of the of the overflow about halfway down the tank versus near the top. Does anyone see a problem/drawback to this? Ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

A big drawback unless you plan on using enough pipe to get the return near the surface. In which case why not just drill it closer to the top to begin with?

If not you'll have a flood when/if there is a power failure and your return back siphons water down to level with the end of the pipe. Unless you are planning on a huge sump, one that will accommodate roughly 22 extra gallons of water.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I like having the return on the opposite side as the overflow. But it must be near the top of the water, as water will drain down the return line when you turn off the pump (for a WC, for example). Allow enough room in the sump for this.

I have bout 2g of water drain to my sump when I turn the pump off. But that's in a 29g display, so I assume you may have more.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  5. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

Your better off taking it off the top , surface skimming , that would be a lot of siphoning if a check valve failed, plus gas exchange are a few reasons I can think of.

6. TopsReef

TopsReef Plankton

All good points, thanks. I'll keep it near the top.