DIY PVC Probe Holder

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by rocketmandb, Jan 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

So I finally got around to installing my probes on my Apex, but the probe holder I had bought was not going to cut it in my fuge. In looking around my parts bins I stumbled on an extra 6-way PVC manifold that I had from my tank set up. My initial thought was that I could use two of six holed as structural support to attach to the tank, I'd have four left for probes. I could put a PVC cap on each of the four and drill a hole for the probes.

Below is a picture of the manifold with hang-on-back PVC supports. The manfold is two inches in diameter with 3/4" ports.

[​IMG]

Then, while looking through my parts bin for 3/4" caps, I saw a couple 3/4" to 1/2" male threaded reducers. Low and behold, the probes fit perfectly into the 1/2" end.

[​IMG]

Below is a pic of the unit installed without probes:
    [​IMG]

With probes:
    [​IMG]

Water runs through the big pipe and over the probes that are suspended within.

Now I don't expect that many people have a local store where they can buy a six port PVC manifold. The good news is that you don't need one. You can string together some T fittings (available at your local hardware store). Though the manifold looks cooler :)

2. Click Here!

3. SPINNER

SPINNER Fire Shrimp

Nice Job

That's really cool are your probes sticking out the bottom of manifold? If yes how far +-? Caps on the ends of manifold with hole/holes @ ends would give a nice finished look too. Paint it with fusion and it will even give you a more custom look:)
    I have been looking/thinking about custom holder for my high flow sump that could hold both 3/4" and 1/2" heater's and probes's thank you for the great idea!;D

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I tried Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, Grainger, then a pluming supply warehouse. No luck on a manifold. Also that is cool and I hate you.

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Any pool or spa place should have them! 6 blocks from m house and 3 hours of searching. If that isnt irony i don't know what is!!

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

How did I miss this. Very cool. Great job.

7. SPINNER

SPINNER Fire Shrimp

FlexPVC.com

FlexPVC is a must for reefers great stuff, good pricing and fast shipping:)

8. Click Here!

9. rocketmandb

I got mine from pvcfittings.com

Product Listing PVC-Manifolds

10. rocketmandb

The currently barely hit the flow through the manifold. If you want them to go further then you can cut down the pvc fittings a bit in a number of places. I think it works decently well as-is.

11. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

that is impressive nice work...it's simple, looks good and any dummy /cough *me* can do it :)

12. SPINNER

SPINNER Fire Shrimp

Works for me

Thank you for answering my question i agree as long as probes get water depth they need and enough flow alls good. Since i am using a 150 gallon Rubber Maid container for my sump most items need to be built and probes/heaters with 1/2" & 3/4" holders is one of them.
    Your probe holder idea is perfect for what i am needing so thank you again for sharing.:)