DIY overflow and sump

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by kingterra, Apr 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

i made an overflow 1/2 inch PVC form my 30g and 10g sump its working nicely except its making loud gurgling sound what do you think is the problem?is it because of the PVC very small or ?????
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and for my return pump im using a 2600lph or 600+gph and 1/2inch PVC with ball valve with i adjusted already and my problem is its also making loud noise and making some vibrations any solutions to this?do i have to change a larger PVC or change my return pump to 300gph?
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hello, welcome........on the upright part where the cap is, do you have a hole in the top of the cap? You will need one. That is an interesting set up. That may in and of itself take care of the gurgling but if not then you need to match the return flow (return gph from pump) to the over flow gph in (to the sump). I see you have a shut off there on the outside so depending on the return (too much or too little flow) you may be able to compensate by playing with the in flow gph by reducing that flow. Add the hole in the cap and take it from there. Let us know.

4. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

First nice DIY overflow.
    I found that if you put a bigger bend at the top of your inlet, it muffles the gurgle.
    Ex. say you used 1/2" pipe put a (2) 3/4-1" 90's to make a "u" and you'd also have to drill a pin hole in the top of your cap on the outside to keep it from creating a back pressure.
    Also, one sec and I'll edit your pic.....

5. Optimist

quick drawl....

Attached Files:

6. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

thanks for the reply i will try this later, but i will try to put one hole on my cap first.

7. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

I put a hole in the cap but noise became louder also the gurgle,i think its better without the hole?so what will i do next do i have to make and change it with a bigger pvc pipe?

8. Click Here!

9. Optimist

That pipe has to be below the water line like it would in a denso set-up (like I pictured). Dry fit the pipes and you'll have to keep playing with it in order to get the water level correct.
    When you drilled the hole, you only want the hole to be the size of a pencil lead if not smaller. Just enough to break suction but not enough to make the noise escape the 90.
    You're hardest thing will be during a power out... you'll have to suck on your "primer / vent" pipe to start syphon again.

There are 2 places noise occurs... you'll either have a sucking sound like someone kissing the air from water being sucked in the tube or a gurgle from not having a pin hole to break suction.

As always... pictures added!

Attached Files:

10. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

So picture 2 is better than the first picture isnt?tomorrow i will try this thanks a lot

11. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

i followed your advise the gugrle is not that noisy anymore also the kissing sound but the problem i have now is sound of the flowing water its very noisy and idea what can i do?

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

You may want to consider adding an aqualifter to handle the re-prime in the event of a power outage. BTW, nice job dude.