DIY HoB Fuge

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by oceanparadise1, Aug 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

So ive seen alot of threads lately about DIY HoB fuges. I had a 55 a while back and made a GREAT DIY fuge that was able to store carbon and have a fuge with LR rubble sand and cheato. So i thought id share(ill try and find some pics tmrw)

1. Buy an emp 400 Hob Filter

2. Take the top off and remove the bio wheels and spray wheels.

3. Use some aqua mend to plug the holes left by the spray wheels.

4. In the left side i kept the two pads for carbon and mech. filtration

5. In the right side add a couple inches of sand, lots of rubble and rubber band the cheato to a piece of LR so it doesnt get flung back into tank from flow.

6. Put a light over the right side(anything will work, i use a clip on light used to read books at night)

7. Buy some pods and seed the right side.

8. Put on tank and run

This worked GREAT for me, increased my pods A MILLION FOLD!!! Also reduced my nitrates.

Hope this helps people!!

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

Cant find my old pics :( If any one has any questions, or wants to send me pics of what they have LMK

4. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

are you still running this hob fuge? I'd like to set something like this up as a sort of pod farm. Post some pics.

5. oceanparadise1

Not any more, i now have a 180 with 65 gallon sump and 100 gallon fuge lol, im going to keep searching for this, but it was a POD factory. i seeded it once and the pod population in my tank was INSANE

6. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

I have a fuge but it doesn't seem like enough pods make it back to the display. My mandarin is obviously lacking some blubber and I want to get some more pods in the display and the only way for them to make it back up from the fuge is a travel through the return, which may be turning them into mashed potatoes. I've seen huge amphipods get sucked up and chopped up. I'd like something that has a HOB setup so they can flow straight into the tank without going through the shredder. this sounds ideal. I also plan on working up a small pod farm with a 5 gallon tank.

7. oceanparadise1

If while your making this you have any questions feel free to hit me up bro!

8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

It's nice to find a good use for filters that don't have much use in a marine system. Good work.

10. oceanparadise1