bioplastic reactor for.....$15.00

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by rc_mcwaters3, Nov 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

This all started when I got some npx biopellets on a black friday deal for $15.00. I thought I was going to put it into my old ehiem filter but the old filter did not do what I wanted to do so I ventured onto the internet to look for a reactor. all in all it was going to be about $75.00 bucks with shipping but thats more than I have to spend on the old fish tank this week so I ventured into the world of DIY. This is my first DIY walk through so if you need more info just let me know.

[​IMG]

First step: chose what size you need

I went with two little fishies NPX biopellets because they are better suted for nano tanks. 100ml per 25 gallons. I have about that in total water volume so I will only use half the bag at a full dose. just make sure you know that it is recomended that you add it slowly until you are at a full dose and not all at once.

[​IMG]

next is the size or the reactor. mine is a old gravel vacume body that is 11 inches long by 1 1/4 inches in diameter. This would be a good chance to use clear PVC from a local store. I couldnt get any here so this was the next best thing. plus it gave me part of the pluming for the body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

step two assment and assembly

I have the bottom of the reactor already but no top. so here is how it is assembled.

you will need: a coupling for the size you need

[​IMG]

a threaded plug for the size hose you need. bad pic but it it the pice sticking out if the top.

[​IMG]

and a threaded barb for the top of the plug

[​IMG]

and shazam!!!

[​IMG]

this was my top but you can make two for a bottom as well if your using clear PVC.

4. rc_mcwaters3

step three: final details

the biopellets were really small so I had to use plastic fabric mesh from walmart
    $3.00 total for three big sheets.

[​IMG]

next was to cut it to fit into the top and bottom of the reactor to make sure the biopellets stay where they are suposed to be. I cut them to fit snugly and didnt glue them into place just incase I need to ever replace them. once you put them onto the body they wont go any where.

top:

[​IMG]

bottom:

[​IMG]

once you have the screen in place place one one side place you media in and put it togther. I used teflon tape to water proof everything not PVC cement so thet I would be able to remove or add media as I need to.

[​IMG]

5. rc_mcwaters3

now all you have to do is hook a small pump to it and bam you have a cheep reactor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here is a short video and how well it works.

[​IMG]

all in all I recyled an old pice of fresh water tech and got a nano reactor for about 15 bucks ;D

6. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

nice build, got me to thinking about that old skimmer again lol.

7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Definitely a nice DIY.

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

i though of using my old skimmer first but it was just to big for my little 20 gallon.

thank you sir ;D

10. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Nice! I would expect nothing less from a Georgia boy. good job

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Sweet DIY project. You got me thinking about doing the same on my thirty gallon.

12. rc_mcwaters3

;D

I love it for my 20 pluse if I get a good reactor for christmas I still will probably use this one