Auto topoff ???

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by VT rules, Apr 18, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

I was looking into an easy/cheap way to set up a DIY topoff system and ran into the link below. I like it because it does not involve a float or anything that can cause floods (knock on wood). The general concept is to have a pump connected to your reserve water and set to a timer that would pump for a few minutes each day and turn off. I have a problem with a couple of the steps involved and was hoping someone could take a look and help me out with it.

First, what is this 1/8" rigid undergravel filter (UGF) tube that they use in the plans? I've asked numerous people at fish stores and no one knows nor do they have it. The smallest line that HD carries is 1/4".

"Rigid plastic tubing.
    The 1/8" plastic tubing used for uplift tubes in UGFs works very well."

Secondly, the plans say to "Cut a length of vinyl airline hose that when attached to the inside end of the longer, (five inch) rigid tubing"
    Am I missing something here, how do I attach the two tubes? How does the 1/4" attach to the inside of the 1/8" rigid tube? :confused:

Maybe someone has done this project before and can lend a hand?

Thanks!
    Here's the link.......
    http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/doserwatertopofdiy/a/aa072298.htm

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The 1/8" tubing from UGF is what the air stone attaches too.
    It is the same as the tubing found on ro units except it's rigid. :) EDIT - ACTUALLY it's not. THE RO line has an inner diameter of 1/8" - the outer is bigger.

Air hose will attach to it without any problems.

Someone made a topoff with a pingpong ball and some PVC on this board. Worth a look.

I still say the $172 I spent on the Tunze system was the best money I've spent. It uses infared (sp) and doesn't let the water go down more than 1/8" of an inch. for what it's worth...

Good luck all the same. Hope that helps..

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Infrared eh? Well...I will definatly be looking at that golf ball and pvc...i need a sumpless way to auto top off lol...maybe ill hang one of those kent supp thingys over my tank ^^

5. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

My topoff unit with the pingpong ball started failing after about 3 months of use. The non-latex sheet I used to seal it started to stretch. I redid it with a smaller piece backed up with a clear acrylic disk and it worked better. But to tell the truth, I found a float valve for 12.99 and am now using that. Pictures in this thread. My original auto-topoff design is here

Mike

1 person likes this.
  6. telman2010

telman2010 Bristle Worm

I did it with a $7.00 float switch, a 10 gal aquarium from wal mart for $9.99, $2.00 worth of tubing and an old powerhead that I had laying around. So for a total grand investment of $18.99 I've got my top off that has been working without a hitch for about 8 months now. Knock on wood!;D

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks Michael. :)
    I was going to look that up.

8. Click Here!

9. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

I guess I'll skip the ping pong ball method. :)
    I'll look into the rigid UGF tubing and see if I can get that up and running, otherwise I'll go the float route.

10. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

So what do I need to buy in order to get this 1/8" tubing? An actual UGF, airstones, etc? I've looked all over the place and can't seem to locate it.
    How does the air line connect to?

11. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

In my opinions, an easier diy auto top off is have a airtight water container hang over your sump and have the water travel through a tube going down to the level of water u want to have in the sump. When the water level go below your mark, air will go into the container and water will come out, until the end of the tube is at or below water level. HTH.

1 person likes this.
  12. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

That sounds easier that's for sure, however, I don't have the room for that type of thing in my cabinet.
    Any idea where to get the piece of 1/8" tube that I need? I've had no luck finding it anywhere and I'm getting ready to leave town for a bit and would like to have this auto-topoff system running before I go.