90g corner overflow

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by drywall_guy87, Feb 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. drywall_guy87

drywall_guy87 Astrea Snail

So I have a 9.5 mag pump and I have 1 1/2 pvc coming off it. I have to restrict the flow because the overflow has the slits and it wont push thru fast enuff. Is there something I caan use to mod it like cutting them out and glueing something back. The drain will handle more its a herbie with only two bulkheads

2. Click Here!

3. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

I'm doing a herbie in my 90 build too so I may have that same problem. I guess you could dremel the slits. Is your tank established yet or are you just setting it up?

1 person likes this.
  4. drywall_guy87

Just setting it up. I figure I can cut most of them out I just dont know what to put back there so fish dont get sucked over. Do they make plastic chicken wire

5. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

I wouldn't cut them out, just make the slits deeper

6. drywall_guy87

Yeah but thats still not alot more water to run thru if I made them wider it only opens each one alittle.im thinking of useing nylon screen. If I cut half the slits out the structure will still be there any just glue it on it would be way more flow and I could turn the pump up alittle more. Ill go slow I need to find out how much flow my emergcy drain will handle thats what I want. It just kills me that the pump is that restriced.

7. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

Well let me now how it goes. I'll be setting mine up in a few weeks and may run into the same problem.

Just to be clear if you open the pump up it runs the sump dry?

8. Click Here!

9. drywall_guy87

No it makes the water go to high in the DT the herbie will drain the water to the sump fine. But the slits dont let the water leave the DT fast enuff.

10. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

What does too high mean? It might keep up fine once it goes higher. As water gets higher, more water should exit the overflow to the herbie.

11. drywall_guy87

Yeah but its at the top of the slits now and my pump is chocked more than I want if I open it up anymore it will go over the overflow

12. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

Gotcha. Does your overflow have return holes in the top? Mine does. Since you are doing a Bernie I am assuming you won't have your return enter through the overflow so you could use those return holes for more overflow. You'd have to protect them with screen or something though.