keep a tank cycled without fish

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by fantails, Jan 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fantails

fantails Plankton

I have a 10 gallon hospital tank almost cycled. How do I keep it cycled without any fish??

2. Click Here!

3. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

We cycled our 180 fresh water by just setting it up and using water and gravel from our 50 gal. I know that the water doesnt really do much, but the 50 gal needed a water change so we just threw the old water in the 180 just for the heck of it. We also used some filter media from another cycled tank to help it along.
    We then just allowed it to do its thing.

4. fantails

fantails Plankton

I don't plan on having fish in it. I know if no fish are in it it will not keep the cycle. Should I feed it food? I only want it just incase I need it for a hospital tank. Not a fish full time. I just want to keep feeding it. Thanks

5. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

I wouldn't just throw food in it to be honest. You could always put a few snails in there or ghost shrimp just to keep a cycle. Its not as crucial to keep a cycled tank around for fresh water fish however (IMO). They can take a lot more than saltwater can.

6. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

If you can find PURE ammonia, a drop every few days will do the trick.

I could never find the pure stuff locally around here; it always has surfectant added.

7. fantails

fantails Plankton

I use the Goldex ammonia when I shake the bottle there are no suds. Thanks for the info thats what I wanted to know. Mike