ZEOvit

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Jason McKenzie, Aug 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Started using ZEOvit today. Researched the whole process quite a bit and came to the conclusion it was the best way for me to go with my new system.

Unfortunately I will not be able to accurately compare preZeo to post as it is a new system and it would not be fair to judge a corals changed

Anyway just wanted to say I took the plunge. Anyone else us it?

J

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

What is ZEOvit?

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

This product has made me very curious and since I'm not willing to read through all the heated, biased, egotistical b.s. on Reef Central regarding the subject, I'd be interested in hearing from you as to how the system works for you.

5. Jason McKenzie

The basic premis of ZEOvit is to create a very low nutrient environment that rivals that of a reef. Mainly an SPS Reef. This does not work well with softies or corals that require a higher nutrient level in the water.
    It employs a sirese of ZEOliths that help in the obsorption and reduction of Nitrate and Phosphate. Further into the ZEOvit system are bactiria and bactiria foods used to aid in the lowering of nutrients while also being a provider of foods for corals.
    The ZEOvit line has main more produces that can be added to supliment but I have stuck to the basics for now

Here are some quick reference guides that you can read
    WetWeb artical
    korallen-zucht.de
    ZEOvit.com Forum - ZEOvit

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Much of the BS on RC over zeo is from people with finaical motives posting that zeovit was the greatest thing since the skimmer. There was a rather dishonest attempt at gorilla marketing on RC by the Zeovit hardcore. RC in true RC fashion has since overreacted and now honest discussions of Zeovit get edited or even removed.

Bruce zeo has its own entire forum if your interested.
    ZEOvit.com Forum - ZEOvit

In a nut shell zeo uses a carbon source to grow elevated levels of bacteria in the aquarium. The bacteria drive down both NO3 and phosphate to extremelly low levels. The bacteria is grown on zeolite rock in a reactor. Ever so often you shake the rock dislodging the bacterial mulm some of it is removed by the skimmer some of it become coral food. Another part of zeo is the regular use of a amino acids.

Basically the system becomes very nutrient poor and you feed to increase your bioload(feeding and fish) and still get good SPS color.

IMO
    The plus:
    Higher bioload more fish more feeding and you still get good color

The minus:
    It's expensive(the stuff is all imported from Europe and whatever in it or not your working against the weak dollar, that can't help a Canadian either.)
    It makes your tank less stable. I done things to my tank that would kill it if was on Zeo. How would of a dKH of 16 work out on Zeovit(CR problem). The tank would have crashed. You have to run NSW or lower levels or Cal/Alk or you can't run Zeo and to me that doesn't leave you with as much wiggle room when you have a tank full of SPS.

The one variable that the Zeoheads don't seem to give any credit to is the fact that most of the crazy beautiful Zeovit tank would have been jaw dropping without Zeo. If you look thru any of the big name zeo based system you find that the reefkeeper had allready pushed everything to the max. No dollar spared. BubbleKing, RedDragons, nothing to expensive for their reef. A knowledgeable reef-keeper running a fortune in the best equipment WILL HAVE A GOOD TANK zeo or not.

Jason, your last tank was awesome your new tank won't be any less zeo or not.

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I'm a slow typer.

8. Click Here!

9. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Great post. There are some good pod casts on this subject.
    Please keep us updated on how it goes. I would like some good info from someone here who is more unbiased.

10. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

Not another ZEOvit thread :D I wont' post I'm warn out on ZEOvit threads. Yes it works and works well but it does not work as they calim, which has been my only issue. I could ask Alexandar to come here, the master of the ZEOvit tank but he is probalby warn out also. I had him come over to Reef Frontiers a few months ago. Go there for a good thread, 275 replies. He is the only ZEOvit guy I trust. Here is a pic of his tank

[​IMG]

11. Jason McKenzie

I do respect your opinion Boomer, but have come to my own conclusion about ZEOvit. Reading a lot of posts on RC and RF. I realize you have a greater understanding of the chemistry behind the process. I have been looking at the overall tank success. It is not only the advance colour that many claim to achieved have using Zeo products but also the sustainability of the tank. I am in the process of stabilizing a 370G tank and through my read feel ZEOvit is the simplest way to archive the goals I have for this system.
    Any help you have would be much appreciated as usual

Jason

12. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

Jason, you may have taken that wrong. Like I said, it works and works well, that is not an issue with me. It is only their claim as to how it works. If I did not think the system worked well and was all against it, I would not have invited Alexandra to RF. These systems are very impressive if you follow the rules. Reason I brought Alexandra to RF, people wanted to know how and I wanted him to guide them. Based on RC and some other places and even to some extent on RF, ZEOvit sellers pop-up and cult leaders pop-up and the do-doo- hits the fan. There is only one opinion, theirs that is it. Alexandra is not like the rest of them. Many of these guys need to tune down, to include others and have a discussion not head-bashing. But, some ZEOvit user is not going to be tellng me or try to cram down my thorat how Zeolite minerals work and dont' work....period....they are clueless........my whole issue on any thread :D