Wood or metal stands?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by coyle, Jan 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coyle

coyle Bristle Worm

Which do you prefer and why?

2. Click Here!

3. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

All depends on the tank, equipment and placement..

Most of my Tanks are on wooden cabinets as they are in the office and living room. My 2 20Gals while also in a very visible place are stacked in a metal stand with a wooden canopy on the top.

Most wooden stands give a better 'footprint" to distribute weight to the floor vs. the store bought metal stands that have 4 legs/points of presure to carry the weight.

4. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

IMO wood stands looks nicer and can hide the sump.

IIRC metal stands are cheaper. Someone with fabricating skills could probably make a nice looking metal stand.

My personal favorite is cinder blocks painted black. They are cheap and require absolutely zero skills to assemble.

5. telstar

telstar Fire Worm

IMO salt and metal do not mix. Unless you are going to inspect and clean the metal stand regularly I would go with wood.

The metal stand may last 4 or 5 years with no problems but I would not trust it much more than that.

Besides, as stated earlier, wood looks better.

6. d-wreck

d-wreck Plankton

I think that wood looks nicer

7. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

i would go wood for tanks up to 300 gallons, anything over i would do metal and have the metal powder coated so it wont rust

8. Click Here!

9. AchillesTang

AchillesTang Plankton

I built my stand for my 350 gallon acrylic and I think it looks great. I think wood works better than metal.

[​IMG]

10. divott

divott Giant Squid

act ually in a sense i have both. lol. tank originally came with metal stand. idecided to wrap it wood because the metal is ugly. lol

Attached Files:

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I like wood just because it looks nicer and the store bought metal stands are crap. However, If I needed a stand for a large tank, I would use a mix of metal and wood for strength and looks.

12. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

If you know how and have the proper equipment to fabricate a tube steel frame, you can save a lot of space that 2x4's/4x4's take up. Wrapping a tube frame with wood after for aesthetics is always an option. For ease, wood.