What would you do? Peppermint shrimp question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Midnight_Madman, Nov 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

A few months ago I posted how my royal gramma ate all of my peppermint shrimp. Well they are all definitely gone. The problem is my Aptasia is coming back! Its actually starting to get a bit out of control. I have killed about 6 of them with aptasia x but every few days a new one appears.
    So I need opinions.. should I get rid of the Royal and get some Pep shrimp back in the tank to get these Aptasia under control again? or should I keep the pretty fish and try to keep up with the (what seems to be) a losing battle with the aptasia!? The other thing is, I would love to get a Lionfish at some point and know that he would most likely eat the shrimp too if I get more of them. I think the Royal would hopefully be to big for a lion to eat though

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Tank size? Is it a reef tank or FOWLR? Reason I ask is Bat Fish love aptasia :)

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

try joes juice ... i found it to work well, much better than aptasia-x

5. Midnight_Madman

6. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

Hot water nuke with a syringe if not many.............

E

7. Midnight_Madman

My problem is I started with an infestation last year on my liverock I bought off of someone. I got rid of all the aptasia and it was a battle. I used the Aptasia X and then put 7 pep shrimp in and it was GONE. Whats happening now is the "spors" or whatever that were lurking deep inside the rock are starting to activate again or something now that the shrimp arent around to control it....
    Through the whole year my sump had a ton of them but I left them in it without any problem... until lately.

8. Click Here!

9. lblanks

lblanks Astrea Snail

any chance you can quarantine the royal gamma and institute the shrimp in the mean time?

10. Midnight_Madman

If I can ever catch that sucker! But once I put him back in he would just eat the new shrimp again!

11. Midnight_Madman

Would the batfish harm any of the soft corals?

12. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

there is a nudibranch that eats them i believe its called a bergia nudi someone will correct me if i'm wrong, it works to the best of my knowledge, try one and i believe it will killem;)