what makes 3reef awesome?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by oldfishkeeper, Apr 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I've been around a while here and this is my favorite forum. One thing that has always made 3reef stand out to me, is the helpful people and the nonjudgmental vibe that we have. We have some very knowledgeable people as well as some with incredibly funny senses of humor.

I've seen posts lately where newbies are being condemned and sense of humor has bordered on mean. :( I really hope this is isolated and not our new norm. If people want to be beat up and criticized, they can get that on the dark side or many other forums for that matter.

3reef is a special place and that's why I like it so much. Just an observation as a regular.

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I noticed the same as well. This forum has never been about criticizing, but rather helping. Some people need more help than others to get the point, but it should never be negative comments to start off with.

4. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

I'm considering myself a newbie here and I haven't seen any negative comments to anybody? Maybe, I just didn't notice it???

For myself I love how members here step up and give their advice to anybody who is looking for answers. I have had my tank up since November 2012 but not until I joined this site in January 2014 I have seen my tank looking better each day and healthier because of all the information I have seen on here or received from the generous members here. I have so much information now and the ideas that members do when they do their DIY projects have made me realize I can do it too.

I was a member of another forum (The Dark Side) when I started my tank and they were helpful but didn't seem to be open to newbies which made me feel awkward when I needed information. That is not the case here at 3reef and I feel welcomed and I can't speak for everybody but I'm so glad I found this site.

I plan to be here a long time and being part of this community so I can learn more as each day that goes by.

Thank you 3reef for letting me be a part of this I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E site..Ory

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Ditto Oryo. This hobby can be overwhelming with all I should know. I've been helped immensely. There are times when I get info I really didn't want to hear but in retrospect it has helped put me on the right track. - gratefully yours, Bill

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Good call OFK,I noticed the same recently.I think it would be good for us all to remember back to our first saltwater tank and some of the many mistakes that we have made.We also need to recognise the fact that there are still alot of people that get what they believe to be good knowledgable advise from a lfs when setting up and stocking their first tank.

7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I agree OFK, I've noticed the same thing. Everyone started as a newbie and all of us made mistakes and will make plenty more. Education is far better than negative/arrogant criticism. I've learned a lot from 3reef through great members educating me and my tanks today wouldn't exist if weren't for my fine fellow reefers.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

And now I'm checking for that PM from you OFK, or a Mod. regarding this, IF it happened to be me being a jerk.

I agree that this is the best forum for reefers (FOWLR included too) as far as vibe, etc.

The Moderators also make it nice in the sense they don't have this super power about modding also.

Thanks 3Reef!

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Todd - you are not a culprit, no worries.

12. Pdxile

Pdxile Coral Banded Shrimp

I like 3 reef. I am a member of 2 other forums, one I like very much and one that is so horrible and mean that I only posted enough to get on the classifieds. I am a nice person but was flamed, answered sarcastically and dismissed for asking "dumb questions". In a hundred posts I bet 50 were nasty. I a nice person (I think) and an intermediate aquarist. I do not fear asking "dumb" questions here. I have never been treated with anything but respect, and hoped I have returned the favor.
    Rock on, 3reef!